Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak Vanity in Bathroom Sink - Help - PICS

Posted by cdo_and_doug (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 16:42

HI I have a very small full bathroom.
The room is only 6'2" x 5'11"

I have an Oak Vanity with sink in it and would like to change the wood on the bottom of the vanity.

Does anyone have any ideas for this?
Am I in the best forum for help on this?

More storage would be very useful in this small space.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is to show wood style in the bathroom
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak Vanity in Bathroom Sink - Help - PICS

Can you be more specific about what you want to accomplish here? '...change the wood on the bottom of the vanity' is a little vague.

o

I'm not sure how to fix it exactly
but I don't like the way the dresser rests on the wood
trim.
Possibly adding a draw at the bottom
but also keeping the nice old style of the dresser.

I think normally there should only be about 4" underneath a vanity or it would touch the ground and have a toe kick?

I took more photos to show the angle better.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

If it was mine, this is what I would do:
- Remove the front piece with the curves in it. Maybe even the feet stile fronts next to it.
- Remove the base board on the wall starting where it goes under the existing unit.
- Extend the face frame down and include a 3-4" toe-kick.
- Fill in the intermediate area with one or two side-to-side drawers. This will not only look best but give you a bit more storage.
- Stain to match, or if you are not able to match stains, strip and refinish the entire front.

You're going to have to play it by ear; it may be easiest to remove the unit to make the changes, or not.

It appears a real Rube Goldberg at the moment and that would make it appear more usual.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here