Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing and removing a waxy? finish?

Posted by mrstan (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 16:39

I am working on stripping an old chifferobe. I am using the same stripper that I've used on about 5 other pieces in the last week very successfully - it seems to have very little effect on this piece, however.

On others, I was able to put it on, go about some other work, and come back and scrape off most, if not all of the finish. This thing however seems like it automatically dries the stripper out before I even finish applying it - what I am able to scrape off looks like wax.

What do I need to use to remove the waxy finish to be able to get to the actual color on the piece?

Thanks in advance!

Stan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing and removing a waxy? finish?

I usu Mineral Spirits as an all-purpose cleaner of sticky substances. A product call Goo Gone also works. I haven't had either cause any harm to a surface but will loosen a poor condition finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here