Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tools and Shops Issue

Posted by jbranch (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 16:35

This is not spam and I don't work for Taunton, so I am not benefiting at all from this post. It is more of a FYI.

While I don't subscribe to Fine Woodworking magazine, I always purchase their Tools and Shops special issue. There are always several articles which I find interesting.

In this issue, there is an impressive woodworking bench and a miter saw station, both things I need to update in my shop.

I bought my issue at Barnes and Noble, but you can also buy it online using the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tools and Shops 2009

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tools and Shops Issue

Many of the woodworking magazines have an end-of-year issue like this. I currently subscribe to only FWW, Tools of the Trade, and Popular Woodworking, but pick up an accassional Wood, American Woodworker, or WoodWorker's Journal (though I can't remember if any of this group has an year-end issue).

Also for anyone interested in building a workbench, I highly recommend Chris Schwarz's book on the subject.

Disclaimer: I do some occasional work for F+W as they are just a couple of miles from me. I get nothing from their books sales. I consider Chris and his associates all friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Workbenches

o

Bobsmyuncle - thanks for the link. My next project is a new workbench. I am leaning towards a radical design shown in Tools and Shops I think last year. It is basically two saw horses with two box beams as work surfaces. I hesitate starting the project because I have always had the traditional workbench w/tail vise, etc.

o

before commiting to any design, I'd also checking out the following book and taking a quick read of it.

There is no one "best" workbench. The scale of projects, the number of projects active at one time, the type of work you do (hand, power, stationary tools, repair, etc.) and the type of projects (turned, carved, joined casegoods, chairs, etc.) determine which would might work best for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Workbench

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here