Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcub_gw

Just sharing some island pics

angelcub
16 years ago

Hi, just thought I'd share some island pics. My hubby built it from my design, then I painted/distressed it. I used Waterlox to finish the walnut top he made. We are so pleased with it. We have an unfitted cottage style kitchen so we wanted the island to resemble a separate piece of furniture as opposed to matching the cabinets he built.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This is the view you see when entering the kitchen. I didn't want the MW to show from that angle. The electric is through one of the legs.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)

• furnone
    16 years ago

Nice work angelcub, beautiful walnut top.

• carguy60
    16 years ago

Beautiful cabinet work.
    I love the design and the super quality
    workmanship on the island and cabinets.
    The inset drawers are perfect, the finish on Walnut is
    spectacular, the layout is convenient.
    Terrific project, I envy the results.

John

• mackswim
    16 years ago

What stain and finish did you put on the wood? I am trying to find a dark stain for oak that is very or no VOC as well as food safe. Any thoughts?

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

As already stated it is a beautiful piece of work. Your husband is to be commended for his efforts. The top is especially well done.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• angelcub
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the nice compliments. And I am sorry for not getting back to you all sooner. Tis the season to be running in ten different directions. : )

Mackswim, there is no stain on the walnut top. I did 6 coats of Waterlox, sanding lightly in between coats. The first coat was the Original Sealer/Finish, then the rest were the satin finish. We love the way it darkened up and think it's a nice contrast with the soapstone. Good luck - I hope you find your stain. But maybe try the Waterlox and see how you like the finish? It is food-safe.

We have finished the cabinet feet so I now have pics of them on our site. I will link to them. Just click on the Kitchen link at the top to go to that page.

DH is finishing up the upper cabinet door install this week. I will post pics when he's done. We still need to order the latches for them - I better get moving on that.

It feels so good to be heading toward the end of this project! Thanks for taking a look!

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pics

• swanz
    16 years ago

Great design, gorgeous work.

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

Angelcub, now that some time and a couple major holidays have passed, how is the Waterlox finish holding up? Are you happy with it?