Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just sharing some island pics

Posted by angelcub (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 15:28

Hi, just thought I'd share some island pics. My hubby built it from my design, then I painted/distressed it. I used Waterlox to finish the walnut top he made. We are so pleased with it. We have an unfitted cottage style kitchen so we wanted the island to resemble a separate piece of furniture as opposed to matching the cabinets he built.

This is the view you see when entering the kitchen. I didn't want the MW to show from that angle. The electric is through one of the legs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just sharing some island pics

Nice work angelcub, beautiful walnut top.

o

Beautiful cabinet work.
I love the design and the super quality
workmanship on the island and cabinets.
The inset drawers are perfect, the finish on Walnut is
spectacular, the layout is convenient.
Terrific project, I envy the results.

John

o

What stain and finish did you put on the wood? I am trying to find a dark stain for oak that is very or no VOC as well as food safe. Any thoughts?

o

As already stated it is a beautiful piece of work. Your husband is to be commended for his efforts. The top is especially well done.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

o

Thanks so much for the nice compliments. And I am sorry for not getting back to you all sooner. Tis the season to be running in ten different directions. : )

Mackswim, there is no stain on the walnut top. I did 6 coats of Waterlox, sanding lightly in between coats. The first coat was the Original Sealer/Finish, then the rest were the satin finish. We love the way it darkened up and think it's a nice contrast with the soapstone. Good luck - I hope you find your stain. But maybe try the Waterlox and see how you like the finish? It is food-safe.

We have finished the cabinet feet so I now have pics of them on our site. I will link to them. Just click on the Kitchen link at the top to go to that page.

DH is finishing up the upper cabinet door install this week. I will post pics when he's done. We still need to order the latches for them - I better get moving on that.

It feels so good to be heading toward the end of this project! Thanks for taking a look!

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pics

o

Great design, gorgeous work.

o

Angelcub, now that some time and a couple major holidays have passed, how is the Waterlox finish holding up? Are you happy with it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here