Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Island Top Finish...Choices

Posted by MIssyV (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 15:04

Here are the wood island finish choices:
1. Tung Oil or Linseed Oil
2. Waterlox
3. The "mystery" finish the maker recommends OVER Waterlox!

We are going to use Mahogany for the wood island top, but I think it will be too "red", therefore plan to stain it. My understanding is, if we stain it, then tung oil/linseed oil really isn't a good choice.

I have always read RAVE reviews on Waterlox here on GW, and just assumed that is what we should ask for, but he said he really prefers whatever product he uses (didn't say the name, just that it's a mix, and not available to DIYers, or at Home Depot/Lowes, etc. )

So, what should we do? Trust his judgment that what he uses is better than Waterlox? Or still request Waterlox?

Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Island Top Finish...Choices

I should have shared that while I don't know what finish he uses, he is a custom woodworker. And he did share that this "mystery" finish is what he uses on stair treds, floors, etc, so it must be rather durable if its on stair treds. He wasn't intentionally hiding the finish from me, I just didn't ask.

o
RE: Wood Island Top Finish...Choices

Ask him if it a varnish or lacquer, if it is oil or water-based, if it is a mixture of oil and varnish or it is all oil, or no oil at all. If there is oil, what kind. Ask him if it is food-safe. Ask him what you have to do to keep the finish up and if you are able to add more finish if it fails in high use areas. What DO you do if it fails? Will it water spot? What liquids must be avoided? How do you clean it? Is it heat tolerant? What might discolor it? ETC.

If it were mine I wouldn't stain it. Let the wood show through. Mahogany (real mahogany subtly changes color over time) is a beautiful species when just oiled or clear coated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here