Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair, Replace Chair Spindles

Posted by lpalta (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 30, 09 at 14:55

I have several old chairs with broken or missing spindles. Is there a diy fix for repairing or replacing the spindles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair, Replace Chair Spindles

You need to disassemble the connecting parts to replace a broken spindle. It depends on where it is -- bow back, base, frame chair, etc.

If the spindle is straight and even, you can use a dowel rod. While you can buy these at any hardware store, you will have a better selection of species of wood at a woodworking store or hardwood dealer.

If the spindles are tapered or have beads and coves, you will need to have new ones turned. If you can find a local turner, you can have them locally made. Otherwise, the link below is a company that I've used. You send them a sample of what you want (for example, unbroken parts from another chair in the set) and they will put it on their duplicator machines and ship you back the original and replacements. I've found them very cost effective compared to a turner standing at a lathe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Normal Square Woodworking

o
as far as disassembly / reassembly

Below is an irreverent look at chair repair.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair repair

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here