Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
staining a wood floor in a checkerboard pattern

Posted by victoriajane (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 14:52

I don't know if this post belongs here or in the flooring forum, but I am interested in staining our new oak floor in a checkerboard pattern on the diagonal. I did a how-to search on line but almost all the hits gave instructions on how to paint a wood floor - I don't think I want to apply paint, though, because I want the grain to show through. Is there a way to do this design with stain or would the stain bleed through? Also if I were to seek out a professional, what would I search for? wood-working artist or floor designer or something like that? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: staining a wood floor in a checkerboard pattern

Stain, when applied to raw wood, will tend to follow the grain and pores. You are likely to have bleed through under the masking tape. This will give you fuzzy lines. Certain woods, such as red oak, a common flooring material, will be more prone to this than others.

The first place I would look would be toward a wipe-on glaze or spray-on toner that you apply between coats of finish. The lower coat(s) will seal the pores, and the upper coats will protect the color from abrasion damage. But before I did anything, I'd run some sample boards with my intended plan(s).

But I'm a furniture guy, not a flooring guy, so there may be other roads to Rome. In my metro area there are a lot of flooring finishers and one company that seems to be the gurus of the trade. Ask around to find one in your area. Since they're not flooring new McMansions, they may be looking for work.

o
RE: staining a wood floor in a checkerboard pattern

thanks for the advice, bobsmyuncle!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here