Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper finish on distressed farm table?

Posted by tvharvard (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 14:45

I have just refinished a very distress farm table and its time for me put on a top finishing coat. I have done research and I'm still confused as what is best to use. The table is stained very dark, black walnut with tons of holes, pockets and planks & general distressing. I want the finishing coat to keep a natural look as if the table is still raw wood and it needs to be able to get into the nooks and crannies. Can anyone suggest the easiest and best top coat that doesn't leave a glassy, thick appearance - Poly? Tung oil? varnish? I would love it to be dummy proof! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper finish on distressed farm table?

Oil based floor poly varnish is about as dummy proof as you can get.

But, that is difficult to apply.

Regular oil based varnish would be my choice. Reasons---easy to spot repair, easy to apply, resists food/water/alcohol spills better than other finishes, and comes in various sheens.

o
RE: Proper finish on distressed farm table?

Hello, tv. Please allow me to ask a question or two about your table. I have what I think is a regular farm table. But, to be honest, I don't know if it's that or one that was in the smoke house for butchering hogs. I have it in my basement. It is natural wood. It wouldn't look terribly bad if someone had put something under their cans of paint.

The table is 7' long, 39" wide, and 1" thick. Two boards are 14" and one is 11". Back in the WWII days I stayed at the house where I think this table was. It was always covered. It has about a 6" support board running just inside the perimeter of the top. I don't recall busting my knees on it when I was little but maybe that saved me. I have a computer sitting on it now and have to remember things like that. The legs are square. The table sits a little lower than a dining room table of today.

Does that sound like your farm table? Thanks, Gene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here