Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing woods? Help!

Posted by gunter (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 14:37

If I do White Oak floors what other wood options are there for my interior doors?--I don't want Oak. I had planned on Alder interior doors but my builder thinks the two different woods might be too busy looking or naturally one is more yellow and the other more red in tone. But both would be stained the same honey-teak brown color.
The flooring will go over radiant floors which means only certain types of wood are best for stability.
Any suggestions?

And would the trim around the door match the door or the floor wood? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing woods? Help!

Different woods do staion differently. Colors can be mixed and cloors be close, however. For instance, the oak might require more dark tones in the final recipe---to approxiate the same stain on the alder. Or if a water based finished is used on one, an oil based finish might be used on the other to darken/amber tone it.

Use a preconditioner on the alder so blotching is minimized---white(Blond) shellac mixed in a one pound cut is best since it does not darken either wood.

Do a lot of testing---for instance when a color recipe is close, I often use the inside of a closet door as the final test---for a look on the real thing.

o

Thanks for letting me know.

o

The trim around the door should match the door. I don't work with alder so I am not familiar with how it finishes. Oak is an open grain wood that requires sealing. The grain and pattern of dissimilar woods can result in some strange results. Just my opinion. BTW, thought alder was used a lot to bake salmon.

o

If you want wood that is stable go for quartersawn oak (also called edge grained) - it is more expensive but also has an interesting flecked grain as well as stability. Alder is nice but I don't think it has the strength of oak or birch for door use. Doors often have objects moved near them which could tend to dent and marr wood. Why not try flatsawn oak for the doors and trim and quartersawn oak for the floors?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here