Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closet Shelves with Plywood?

Posted by turbo3 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 14:27

I had my closets reframed to allow for french doors and I'm now starting to tackle the shelves. For now I just want a basic shelf with hanger bar/rack. I looked at the pine boards at HD and they are hopeless -- warped, bowed, gouged etc. So I'm thinking of going with a nice maple plywood. These will probably be painted eventually so I could fill/sand the exposed edges. Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Also as I understand, HD will handle the rip cuts, which I'd have a hard time getting straight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closet Shelves with Plywood?

You will need to edge band the exposed edges---filling/etc is a terrible p0rocedure.

Luckily, there is iron-on edge banding---and HD probably sells it. If not, maple edge banding is available at woodworking stores and some lumber yards.

Using plywood is actually better than pine---the plywood will sag less. And, if you were to add a 2" wide skirt on the front of the shelf, the normal sag would be minimized further.

o

Glue and screw a 1x2 across the front of the shelves.

It finishes the edge quickly AND stiffens the center front of the board so it's less likely to sag.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of stiffening the shelf. Will finish nails suffice? Screws seem like it be a pain to fill over

o

Finish nail will suffice, but you should also glue the front edge piece to the plywood. I will be using a nailer and probably 1.5" 18-gauge brads when I get around to doing mine. The nails are mostly just to hold it until the glue dries.

o

I've had very, very, very good results with iron-on edgebanding. I applied them with my household iron, and then burnished them w/ a block of scrap pine while still warm. I even purchased a squeeze-together trimmer to clear away any excess. Then painted them white.

It was fast. It was easy. I covered a ton of shelving--let's see, five shelves on each side of the living room, each shelf about 5 feet long. And it still looks good. And I still say--it was fast.
And just not very fiddly.

For the closet, I'd go that route.

If you want to apply board to the front as a stiffening I'd feel like I'd need to clamp in addition to nailing. Maybe you don't--but then I'd be worried I didn't get a really good bond.

I have books on my shelves, and the plywood is strong enough--it didn't need stiffening. I have supporting brackets every 2.5 feet or so.

If you're just storing clothes, etc., even in boxes, you probably don't really need to stiffen the front anyway, depending on how well-supported the shelves are.

trimmer for edge banding--simple!
http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Edge-Banding-Trimmer.html

The squeeze-together one I have (though I wish I had the one above!)
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/156044/FastCap-Fastedge-Edge-Banding-Trimmer

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sagulator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here