Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Table finish problems

Posted by triciaallen (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 14:20

In July, I stripped, stained, and applied 4 coats of a water based poly to tables in a restaurant. I followed all the instructions to the letter and sanded between coats, but the poly is already scraping off. Is there anything I can use (I was reading about Behlan's Rock Hard TableTop Varnish) that would be stronger. They get a lot of use and I'm a little at my wits end about having to strip, sand, stain, and refinish them all over again so soon! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Table finish problems

Restaurant exposure -- abrasion, impact, heat, and hourly wipe down with who-knows-what cleaners (perhaps alkaline) -- would be considered severe service. Making some assumptions here: You are unlikely to find anything on the shelf at Home Depot that would be super-durable. That, in addition to the fact that most finishes take about 3 weeks to fully cure and are likely to have put in severe service before that date would possibly result in the premature failure.

If the finish is failing, you will not be very successful just putting something else over the top of it. So, sorry, I'd recommend stripping and refinishing.

Behlen's Rock Hard is an excellent varnish. Waterlox original is a similar varnish the would also be a good choice.

Another option is just to replace the tops. Restaurant furniture is incredibly inexpensive. It is also likely to be finished with materials that you are not able to get or apply unless you are a commercial finisher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here