Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimee124

What kind of wood is this?

aimee124
9 years ago

Hi, we purchased a home that has a cathedral ceiling in the living room and it had white ceiling tile. One day I decided to take on off(it was stapled) to see if sheetrock was underneath. But it was wood. We have no idea what kind,if it has been stained etc. and we are not really good in re-modeling etc.
I hope someone here can tell me what kind of woid and what to do now lol,before my husbands kills me for doing this and now don't know what to do. Ha
Thanks for any comments right or wrong! And what would you do to it?
Aimee

Comments (8)

• bobismyuncle
    9 years ago

Looks like cedar. One of my daughters' house has this all over. It's usually just left rough-sawn and unfinished.

This post was edited by bobsmyuncle on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 20:18

• klem1
    9 years ago

Flame hardening works with all species regardless of stain or finish. Nice whisky ember color that lasts for a lifetime.
    Just purchase a flame thrower weed burner for $20 at Harbor Freight,connect it to a grill bottle,ignight it and you will finish in less than 30 minutes. You said "comments right or wrong" Aimee. Seriously, it looks like pine but I don't see what difference it makes until you tell us what you want your living room ceiling to look like. You might also turn on some lights,open the windows to clear smoke from the room and take close ups with well adjusted lens so we can tell if there are nail/staple holes and so on. My first knee jerk is apply water clear finish,no stain and paint beams white or a color near that of ceiling. I can't say as I blame you for not liking the origional look but painting the beams a less contrasting color instead of pulling tile would be quicker and cheaper.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Looks like #2 yellow pine sheathing/subfloor/decking. What they used to use before plywood.
    Casey

• zagut
    9 years ago

Looks like it could be cedar.

What to do?

What do you like?

Personally I'd give it a light sanding to only to lessen the marks/lines the tile seams left.

Then either give it a coat of boiled linseed oil or better yet leave it be.

Klem has a point about the beams. Either paint them of if you're up for the work and mess take them down to wood .

It's your taste that matters but I love the old wood and restored nature of things.

BTW. The paper border has got to go.

• klem1
    9 years ago

"BTW. The paper border has got to go."

Agreed

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

That does not look like cedar to me...more likely pine. If you get up on a ladder and scrape a small area, you should be able to smell the distinctive odor of cedar if that is what it is.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

agreed about the wall paper. take it down and bury it.

the wood has age and a patina that should be saved. brush off the loose stuff and apply a few coats of oil. then based on the color of the wood, decide the color of the beams.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

New to the party here...
    I like the wood and would (pun?) leave it as close to that as I could. If you're smokers cook with oil or use a wood burning stove, you need to seal it, hopefully with a clear coat.

Given the rustic look, pull those staples and clear coat the beams black. I actually like that in contrast and it gives it a little bit of an industrial look.

And, given the time since you've posted, did you decide something already?