Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Touching up chipped lacquer on Chinese lacquer cabinet

Touching up chipped lacquer on Chinese lacquer cabinet

I bought a Chinese lacquer cabinet at an estate sale yesterday. I am sure it is not old, but a modern piece in an old style. I do have an old one that I hope to tackle later this winter, but that needs major work on the hinges and new brass trim cut and etched. Maybe this one will be practice.

There are a lot of small lacquer chips missing on the edges. The trim color is a blue-green, with a kind of delicate feathering overlay in black, which may be done on the lacquer itself. When the chips snap off it reveals a lighter blue paint underneath. I removed all the loose lacquer and lightly sanded the chipped edges to soften them with 3/0 emery.

I can mimic the paint color well enough, and give a try with the feathering, but what is the best way to fill in the lacquer? I am not planning to sand down and completely re-coat, the damage is pretty minor, but it is in a position to show. It will be finicky work but that does not bother me. On hand I have oil based poly, waterbased poly, shellac, and of course, there is always (gasp!) nail polish! Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)