Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am having a challenge with a finding a full wrap inset hinge.

Posted by both (aboth@sbcglobal.net) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 13:54

I am trying to find a full wrap full inset hinge that is not 1/16. Meaning when installed and you close the door the distance between the door and frame on the cabinet is not 1/16 but 3/32. I am too nervous with a gap of only 1/16 in my kitchen cabinets. I live in humid Chicago and I do not want doors to stick in July. I also want the wrap around. How much easier is that to install the cabinet doors if they can be closed and held exactly in place when screwing in the hinge on the back side of doo and frame and then opening for three more screws.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,41241,41257,41984&p=41984

So does anyone know where I can get full inset wrap around hinges in satin nickle that creates a 3/32 gap. OR can I put something between the hinge and frame that would equal 1/32 to shim in out before screwing the hinges on.

This is a very specific problem.. thanks for any help!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am having a challenge with a finding a full wrap inset hing

You have no reason for concern. The gap on the hinge side remains constant all year long, no matter how much the door swells during the summer. The gap will change size on the opposite side as the hinges. Just make the doors 5/32" less than the cabinet's inside face frame dimension for single doors and 7/32" less for double doors.

o
RE: I am having a challenge with a finding a full wrap inset hing

Aidan is correct. Other than that, a 1/16 inch gap is typical. If you want to make the gap wider, so the gap on the hinge side matches with the gap on the latch side, you could shim with a 1/32 inch piece of veneer behind the hinge. More than that might not look good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here