Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sconway11324

How can I add pull-outs to my double kitchen cabinets

sconway11324
14 years ago

I have two double kitchen cabinets that I would really like to convert to drawers or add pull-outs drawers. There are lots of tools out there to add pull-outs but my problem is that my cabinets have two doors with a wood spacer in between them. Inside it is a big box; this would not let me create two levels of pull-outs/drawers - I would need a total of 4. The cabinets have a 12-inch depth shelf on middle-back but it does not extend to the front so I cannot attach the pull-out hardware.

Ideally, I would like to have two kitchen drawers so I do not waste the space in between the doors if I add pull-outs. But I am on a budget and the custom cabinets are in great shape (though they are 12 years old).

Does anyone know how I can add or convert to pull-out drawers? I currently stack all my pots but they sometimes fall. It would be so much easier to pull-out, store and retrieve what I need.

Any ideas?

Comments (3)

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

I take it you have face frame cabinets from what you describe.

I've been planning on doing something similar to a cabinet with double doors and a piece of the frame in between.

Here's what I'm planning to do. The center strip in mine is screwed in with 4 pocket screws, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. Use a flash light and try and see what type of head it has before you get started.

Get a peice of 3/4" square stock cut it a couple inches less than the height of the opening. Glue and screw it to the side of that center peice so that it's flush with the front. Predrill is a must, countersink is optional but nice. Leave a gap at the top and bottom.

Next close the door on the side where you attached the 3/4" piece. Then predrill and screw but don't glue it in. You just want to get the holes in, then remove the screws to the door.

Now you want to remove that center piece from the cabinet box.

First you want to take a utility knife and score the finish on the top and bottom to keep it from chipping. Maybe the back too. Then unscrew it. If it doesn't come right out, use a thin bladed saw to cut the top and bottom. It might be glued.

Might be a good idea here to sand the top and bottom to give you some extra clearance and seal the fresh wood on the top and bottom.

Then attach that center piece to the door lining it up with the holes you made previously. Now that cabinet pretty much looks like it did before except when you open the door the center piece comes with it and you have full access.

For the rest, read these instructions for making pull out shelves for your cabinets.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

You can just take out the back shelf and install a standard pull out you can get at home depot. Mine are the same and the shelf was glued and nailed on. A hammer did the trick to get it out.

I have only done one cabinet so far as I feel like I actually lost cabinet space with the one I did. It is a small cabinet though, which contains mixing bowls etc. I do have space now on the side to store a few cookie sheets upright though . . .

If you have plenty of cabinet space but it is just not functional, this may work well for you.

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

I have seen several retro-fits done exactly as organicnoob describes. As most people are right-handed, the normal convention is to put the stile onto the left hand door. Thus the right hand door opens first, then the left.

I have several thin-kerf Japanese saws that would be perfect for sawing out the center stile.