Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbrown5

remove 1 layer of paint off lacquer

qbrown5
11 years ago

I have an upright apt. sized piano- 1925 era, not an antique but 'family heirloom'. When my grandfather bought it during WWII it was Chinese Lacquer Red with a small picture painted on the front. You can almost see the picture still, thru the layer of flat black paint that my grandmother made him put over it so that the red wouldn't 'clash' with her house. The piano means alot to me, and it has great sound, perfect size, I don't want to mess it up. But I LOVE oriental furnishings. If I could even remove the black from a bit of the face enough to reveal the pagoda and tree, I would be thrilled. The idea of a bright red (and probably gold) picture peaking out from all that black is a pleasant tease :-). Maybe someday I would have the time to strip the whole thing, but I'm not seeing that happen anytime soon....

so can anyone point me in the direction of a method to remove paint off of lacquer without destroying the under coat? I would be open to chemical or mechanical options, and I can try it out on the back side...

thanks in advance!!!

Lee

Comments (4)