Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yikes! Need to stain and finish by tomorrow! ???

Posted by leahcate (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 12:21

Fingers crossed for some quick help. Upholsterer for Bergere chair is coming tomorrow(sooner than I'd expected) and I must do something about one of the arms. It's actually only the "hand"( end) of the arm that has a faded, worn off finish. The upper arm is fabric. Neither Howard's Restore a Finish or Old English scratch cover worked ( did not soak in/ darken enough... it's a dark mahogany). Can I scrub it clean, lightly sand and use a stain-finish all-in-one product(polyshade,gelstain, I've heard of???) Should I just buy some dark stain and finish with spray on poly? It's a very small area and focus is on fabric vs. the wood finish. He's picking it up tomorrow afternoon.:>O

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yikes! Need to stain and finish by tomorrow! ???

I'd clean off all the cr@p on it and spray with an aerosol lacquer toner. After a couple of minutes, re-coat with a couple of light coats of clear lacquer. This is probably the same thing that was on there originally.

o
RE: Yikes! Need to stain and finish by tomorrow! ???

Thanks so much for reply! I thought lacquer was slow drying, but perhaps not the aeresol type. I'm off to get and try it...thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here