Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_b_1

Older Craftsman radial saw

don_b_1
18 years ago

Hi,

The model 113.29411 radial arm saw that I've owned forever is finally giving me a problem I can't seem to fix. Hurricane storm surge is ultimately to blame along with my failure to completely dismantle it earlier. Although no part of the saw got dunked, salty atmosphere and fumes from a bunch of melting fertilizer got to it. It was working just fine following the storm but after some time with limited usage, the elevator locked up on me.

I've taken it apart, cleaned, lubed, and polished everything (including tube, column, key, keyway and elevtor crankshaft with emery cloth) and replaced a bad elevation shaft/gear. Everything is slick and smooth as can be but the elevator still won't raise/lower the arm. It's as if the gears aren't meshing together tightly enough. The crankshaft gear has no visible wear.

Anyone have an idea on this thing? Perhaps there's a certain crucial alignment combination of tube with the column that I've not cracked yet?

Thanks,

Don

Comments (21)

• joed
    18 years ago

Never even seen that saw much less worked on it but I have an idea.
    Could one of the gears be spinning on its shaft. Perhaps a broken key or pin through the gear and shaft?

• don_b_1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Joe. I just figured out the magic combination. Once I lowered the tube completely into the column and screwed the elevation shaft ALL the way up into the tube with no cheating, it worked. The last inch of that maneuver is a real pain. Must be done with fingertips on a tiny nubbin of the shaft that pokes out only enough to hold a c-clip, No room for pliers.

I would have been much cheaper to trash this one and buy a new one, with all the time I've spent goofing with it, but they quit making stuff like this a very long time ago. All cast iron and an easily rebuildable motor. Weighs a ton.

Don

• hudval
    18 years ago

just curious, how old is your saw? i have a creftsman 9" that i bought new in 1970, still works perfect but of course no one makes 9" blades anymore that i know of.i use 8 1/4

• abnorm
    18 years ago

Don.....at Old WoodWorking Machines you can download a PDF instruction manual for the 113.29411......the reproduction of the 23 page manual does not list a publication date.......A manual for the same/similar saw.....the 113.29410.......lists a publication date of 1967........

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Craftsman/113-29411.pdf

Hudval........Forrest makes at least a couple 9" Combination blades......Try the:

WW09307100.....9".....30 Tooth......5/8" arbor
    WW09407100.....9".....40 Tooth......5/8" arbor

• bus_driver
    18 years ago

Not near mine to read the model number, but mine was new in 1964. Replaced the switch once. Probably now unavailable.

• Telemark
    18 years ago

Your saw is covered by the recall at radialarmsawrecall.com. For yours and many other models, they will pay you $100 to retire the saw. You mail the motor to them at their expense, and keep the table and accessories.

For anyone who owns a radial arm saw that cannot be retrofitted, ETC will provide $100 for the return of the radial arm saw carriage/motor assembly. Details on this offer can be obtained by calling toll-free (800) 511-2628. Sears should not be contacted because ETC is handling this program.

Here is a link that might be useful: radialarmsawrecall

• dickross
    18 years ago

Radial arm saws are being recalled because they are dangerous. the full depth of the blade is exposed. It is dificult to make an effective blade guard. I don't think anyone makes a radial saw aimed at the consumer market anymore. (delta makes expensive commercial models).

If you are comfortable working with the radial arm saw as it is without a blade guard, it is worth a lot more than $100. A radial saw is better than a table saw for making precision cuts on wide pieces like cabinet doors etc. I used a radial saw for 20+ years and still have all my fingers and toes.

A radial saw is also very difficult and dangerous when trying to rip long boards legthwise. You pretty much have to buy at least a cheap table saw for ripping boards. I do have a couple minor scars from learning that lesson.

• Telemark
    18 years ago

"If you are comfortable working with the radial arm saw as it is without a blade guard, it is worth a lot more than $100. " In my area (Sacramento), working Craftsman RASs are frequently available for $50-100, sometimes less. Considering the problems with the OP's, I would suggest he replace it with one that works; that could be paid for by the recall. Good ones may be in lower supply and higher demand in the hurricane zone, though.

• eric_kitsap
    17 years ago

I have a Sears Crafstman 10-inch Radial Saw Model 113.19770. I have misplaced the thin wrench that is used to change blades. Anyone know where I can find one?

• goaliedad
    17 years ago

I've had good luck getting parts for a similar ( maybe the same ) RAS- try sears.com, I entered your model number, It looks like the wrench is about $9.00 IF they have it in stock.

• harvey_2008
    15 years ago

Does anyone out there have a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw that was made in 1970. If so can you tell me where I can get a pull-on/push-off switch?

Thanks for your help.

Harvey Harriman

• raytax
    15 years ago

Hi all it seems as though the radial arm saw (my favourite) has been recalled due to a number of incidents...seems like a pretty large oversight not covering the blade...hope everyone here is ok.....the full story is with the link

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01031.html

stay fingerful

Christian

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodworking saw blog

• jpdesign1
    14 years ago

I have a 1964 Craftsman radial saw and instruction manual, and am looking for the parts to make it into a drill press. Does anyone know if Sears has the secret back room of the storehouse for old parts or know of anyone that deals with the parts for these machines?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    John Paulson

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"In my area (Sacramento), working Craftsman RASs are frequently available for $50-100, sometimes less."

The recall puts a nice floor on the price.
    If soneone offered me a recalled saw for $50 it would be worth junking it to pocket the $100 'refund."

"Considering the problems with the OP's, I would suggest he replace it with one that works; that could be paid for by the recall."

The problem is that the newer saws have lousy bearings on the carriage, do not hold adjustment worth a darn, and despite the blade guard will still tun over you fingers just like a piece of wood.

A table saw with a cut off sled does everything you can do on a radial arm, and is not width limited, just make a large enough sled.

• stout210_aol_com
    13 years ago

i have a craftsman 10in radial arm saw with a drill press on the side slides out 24inchs does anyone know the value

• 660raptor_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have a Craftsman 10in Radial arm saw bought about 1987.I used it maybe 7 times total and have'nt for about 10 years.Tried two weeks ago and burned the motor.Does any one know if and where i can get a replacement.No luck searching so far.

• bobchichi
    12 years ago

I bought an older craftman radial arm saw. The guy I bought it from saids it works. When I got it home and went to plug it in to try it - I realize that the plug is for 230 volt. The plate on the saw give directions to wire for 115 and 230. From what I am seeing it is 230. My question is - if I change the wiring back to 120 will the saw work? I don't have two open slots on my breakbox to add an additional 220. The wires are tied together with wire nuts - this looks like it from the late 70's to early 80's

• cvalley_roadrunner_com
    12 years ago

Sure, my older Cman RAS was originally 110 and my Dad switched it over to 220/230. i'm using it as 230 but I could easily switch it back to 110/120. Mine is model 113.19770. If you need the wiring diagram I could look for it. LMK

• tazdiesel
    8 years ago

I have many of the attachment tools for the early ras 10 in saws are the worth anything at all they are all in original box

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

You could try looking on ebay, *completed* auctions only, to see if any of them have sold and for how much. Not opening bid prices or BIN prices, but what has actually sold.

• HU-748654249
    last year

I have an old sears craftsman radial arm saw ( model 113 29411). the motor is super difficult to tilt in its yoke for making a mitered cut. any suggestions?

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994