Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French Doors :My stain won't dry!!?!

Posted by matt62963 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 30, 08 at 12:10

I have applied two coats of stain two my bare pine french doors: one Minwax and one Varathane in an effort to get the right deep burned cherry shade we were looking for; I have waited for nearly a week and the stain will not dry and does not seem to have taken to the wood? Can I apply the polyurethane coat to seal it or should I not have mixed the two different brands and need to do something else?? Thanks, Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French Doors :My stain won't dry!!?!

It sounds like the doors are either not wood or are sealed instead of bare wood. Did you wipe off the stain and did the wood take the color? I refinished a new Itea console (some kind of laminate?) to change the color from blond to dark cherry. A combination of dye and stain got the color I wanted but it was laying on the surface so brushing would smear it. I sprayed with shellac and lacquer to seal. You might spray with shellac and brush on a poly finish. I would try a sample on the edge with the hinges that doesn't show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here