Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting a porch floor?

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 12:02

I have a enclosed porch and would like to paint the floor. This room is built on my deck. It is insulated and has a roof over it but not heated. There is plywood on the floor. I'd like to paint it and wonder what I should use? I can't find any information on painting a porch floor.

Tried posting on the Paint forum and no answers. I'd like to get to it this weekend.

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting a porch floor?

hey jane, i just painted my grandpa's floor with dutch boy porch and floor paint, color choices are limited but it works. they also have a line of anti skid paint but frankly it's cheaper if you just use the normal stuff and used shark grip (which in case you didnt know is like a super fine sand you can add to paint and other caotings to give it some tooth)

o

Is the area under the plywood open to the weather(underside of the deck)? If so, the weather will begin to affect the underside of the plywood and degrade it. That weakens the plywood and will eventually cause the primer/paint to slough and bubble. It would be advisable to cover the joists to isolate the plywood before doing much more.

Prime forst with a water based primer---Zinsser Bullseye 123 is a reliable primer that will dry to recoat in 4-6 hours---read the directions on the can.

Then use which ever floor paint you can find/get/like. Or use a floor epoxy if the plywood is solid and does not move.

That additive skanman14 mentioned is good stuff---but is usually used on floors exposed to weather---water/snow/etc.

o

Thanks so much. The room is insulated as is under the floor. It's weather tight, but not heated. I'm using a space heater for the plants. The plywood doesn't seem to move. There is molding around the sides of the room. It is old and stained from walking and drips from the plants. Primer makes sense. I'd like to tackle it myself.

Thanks,
Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here