Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know the Wood Horse Racing Game?

Posted by lil_buddy (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 11:00

Hi all
I am hoping someone here will help me find instructions to play the "horsey game", as it is known in my family.
My Dad made this wooden game years ago, and has since passed away, now my Mom and her friends would like to play it when they get together, but none of them remember how. I have googled it, but don't really know what to call it, and can only find board games that have specialized dice and/or cards.
I believe the homemade version is played with both dice and playing cards that move your 'horse' to the finish line. I have heard of others playing this homemade version, so I know it isn't something he created and I gave up on searching board game sites and thought perhaps other woodworkers would know it. Unfortunately all I have found is backgammon and checkers on other woodworking sites.
If anyone knows the how to play, or just the correct name (the bought game was called Winners Circle) I would very much appreciate if you took the time to answer this post.
Thanks for reading
lil_buddy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know the Wood Horse Racing Game?

Could it be a cribbage board? If so...google Cribbage rules and you will get the whole scoop...of google hoyle and cribbage.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Cribbage

o

Is this the game?

Here is a link that might be useful: WOODEN HORSE RACE GAME

o

Interesting....your link goes around in circles just like a cribbage board....

o

lindac,

Sheesh - I shouldn't try to post links when I'm all drugged up for my bad knee! Here - hope this is the right page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rules for the Wooden horse races game

o

Nope....not Cribbage.....
don't know nuffin' 'bout no horserace game, Miz Scarlett.
Sorry.

o

Yes, I know the Wooden Horse Racing Game. The board has holes drilled in it, you put golf t's in the holes to portray the horses. You use a deck of cards minus the Kings. You use two dice to move the horses. Rules are as follows on a previous post, but there is a template to make the board which is quite simple, but must be made according to the template because it is a game of odds. If you need a copy of the template, I can email it to you via photo.

o

Would you please e-mail the template to me? My husband and I want to make the game for my father in law for Christmas.
Thank you :)

o

Would someone please send me the template for making the Wood Horse Racing Game? I would love to make it for my husband's b'day January 31st.

Thank you.

o

Hello! Would someone be kind enough to email the template and directions for the wood horse racing game. I have been looking all over for it and this is the only site that someone knew what I was talking about. Thank you very much in advanced.

o

can someone send me the template for this game? is the game got a copyright?

o
RE: Template

send to oldbaldi@juno.com

o

I am also looking for the template for the race horsinf game.................

o

Would someone be kind enough to email the template and directions for the wood horse racing game.

o

Could someone please send me the template also my in laws loaned theirs out and it has not returned I would also like to make one for myself.. PLEASE Email the template to commitable2@yahoo.com

o

HORSE RACING RULES
Using a regular deck of cards, remove all aces and kings leaving 44 cards (two through queen).
Set up horses in numerical order.
Dealer deals all cards to the players until all 44 cards are dealt. Some people may end up with more cards than others.

First person to the left of dealer rolls both dice. The total number is the first "money" horse. Move this horse back one space BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot. Example: A 2 & 5 are rolled. The 7 horse is moved back one space. Anyone with a 7 in their hand throws it in the discard pile and puts 25 cents in the pot. If someone has two 7s, they will throw 50 cents in the pot and discard both 7s, three 7s is 75 cents, and four 7s is $1.00. Now anytime a 7 is rolled, the person rolling the dice will add 25 cents to the pot.

Then next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the second "money" horse. Move this horse back two spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot (50 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll the previous number (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the 25 cents and roll again.

The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the third "money" horse. Move this horse back three spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot (75 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again.
The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the fourth and last "money" horse. Move this horse back four spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot ($1.00) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again. These four horse will not move again during this game.

Now the game can begin! The next person rolls the dice. The total of the dice indicates the number horse to move one space FORWARD. If a "money" horse number is rolled, the person who rolled it pays the pot the required amount and the dice are passed to the next player. Continue rolling the dice, moving horses forward or paying the pot until one horse reaches the end. The first horse to reach the finish line (last space) is the winner. All players holding that number card wins a fourth of the pot. If a player is holding two winning cards they receive half the pot, three winning cards will receive three quarters of the pot, and four winning cards will receive all of the pot. If there is any extra money that can not be split equally will stay in the pot for the next game.
Continue the next game the same way with the person to the left of the previous deal now the new dealer.

ENJOY!! AND GOOD LUCK!!

o

Could someone please email the template to me. I need this for my wife's 40th b-day party which is in two days. My email address is dhoerlein1@cinci.rr.com.

Thank you!!

o

Could somebody please email me the template as well. I absolutely love this game and have been trying to find it to make my own. My email is cgsearson@juno.com

o

Could someone please send me a horsey game template also. I would like to get this as soon as I can because I would like to make it for my dear old grandfather. I need the one that has golf tees and the holes drilled into the board. My email address is micekfamily@hotmail.com

o

Could you post the plans here?

Mongo

o

DO you think that you would be able to send me the plans to this game? My daughter keeps talking about it and we would love to make it together! Thanks so much, my email is mdkaehler@qwest.net

o

i would love a template of the game. Its a blast.

o

i would love a copy of the template

o

I would like a copy of the template also.

Thank you.

o

Could you send me a copy of the template also.
Thank you.

o

I am wanting to get a template of this game....

Please send me as soon as possible. I want to show some friends this game this weekend.

send to me at:

keith@mccutchenfamily.info

o

wow...that's a lotta template, did anyone actually find one? the last time i remeber this post popping up was well over a month ago, whta happened? if anyone found one may i suggest posting it up on a new thread oh...

and id like a template also, post a new thread when anyone finds one

o

I have googled everything I can think of for the pattern for this game with no results. I would so appreciate the pattern for this game from onyone who might have it. Thank you so much.

o

I'd love a copy of the pattern of the wood horse racing game.

Could you send it to deadbird@suddenlink.net

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Tom

o

Could I please get the template of the game too?
THanks a lot!!

o

Hi, I too would love a copy of the pattern for this game as well. Please send to lizzypots@hotmail.com

thank-you

o

...this post is now about four months old..

o

I've tried to get in touch with MICHSNOWBUNIE further up on this posting who states they have it, but haven't been able to. Has anyone obtained the pattern to make this game? If so would someone Pretty Please e-mail it to me at cindyandnickd@yahoo.com Thank you:-)

o

Hello,

Can somebody please send me a template, pattern or plan for this Wooden Horse Racing Game? Please send it to gair12cl@yahoo.com

Thank you.

o

Don't know if this forum is still active, but I just recently discovered this game via some friends over the past weekend and fell in love with it. So, the next day I made my own template and built my board. Great game!

Photobucket

o

So, I built my board and I'm pretty pleased with it and how simple it is to make.

Materials:
Wood OSB 4'x 8' - cut game board to 50"x 30"

Felt - 1 yrd Green for game board and 1 yrd Black for backing (optional)

Adhesive Spray for felt

Tacks - wrap green felt edges to back of board and tack

Stencils - Lettering / I made the horse stencils

Black Fabric Pen for lettering, lines and graphics - You'll probably want more than one seeing that it takes a lot of ink to go onto the felt. I used 3 or 4 pens

Horses - I got these at a local dollar store - my wife made the racing blankets for the horses and glued numbers to them by using felt.

Dimensions of inner squares 2.5" x 5" - I used a yard stick to keep everything in line.

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's pretty cheap only cost me about $40 bucks to make. Well worth it for the amount of fun you get playing it.

The rules are the same as "mrdave" posted except i just made squares for the "money" horses.

Here's some pics!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Hope this helps!

o

this is great! I played this game years ago at a Kentucky Derby party. I would love to have a template to create race horse wooden cutouts. In our experience, the grid was actually marked out in chalk on a driveway or in a garage floor in case of rain and the game was played with lifesize game pieces (hence the racehorse cutout needed). The markers stood a couple feet off the ground and were moved by each person playing in that round. SO much fun! Thank you for posting this info! If someone could tell me the best type of saw and wood to use to make something like this and let me know where I could find a template that would be great!

o

I also would like you to mail me a template of this game board. I played it many years ago and roughed it out on a piece of note paper and placed in my personal file. When I pulled it out to make the board I couldn't understand my scratching. Thank you in advance.

o

I made this horse race game board in 2009. The board was lined and routed, then stained. Letting the stain settle into the routed lines makes them darker than the surface. I used vinyl decals to label the board and then coated the surface with multiple coats of polyurethane.

The horses & jockeys are plastic cake toppers. They come painted identically, so I custom painted the jockey silks to make them each a bit different. The horse cards were purchased online- Horses of the World set. We use 4 pairs of dice and keep one pair in each corner of the board- that way no one has to reach too far across the board to get the dice.

Mini poker chips are used instead of coins- the set I use are sold under the name Poker-to-Go. Finally, I had a small plastic trophy Winners Cup made in which to put the chips when players have to pay into the pot.
Here are some pics.

o

I know the last post on this was over two years ago, but is anyone able to email me the template for this game? I woudl love to make it for my children for Christmas this year. Thank you!!! mischelle@knitpiky.com

o

I know this post is fairly old but I was wondering if anyone could email me the plans for this horse racing game? Beckfarm2002@hotmail.com

My children played it at a city festival and would love for me to make it for them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here