Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lil_buddy

Anyone know the Wood Horse Racing Game?

lil_buddy
17 years ago

Hi all

I am hoping someone here will help me find instructions to play the "horsey game", as it is known in my family.

My Dad made this wooden game years ago, and has since passed away, now my Mom and her friends would like to play it when they get together, but none of them remember how. I have googled it, but don't really know what to call it, and can only find board games that have specialized dice and/or cards.

I believe the homemade version is played with both dice and playing cards that move your 'horse' to the finish line. I have heard of others playing this homemade version, so I know it isn't something he created and I gave up on searching board game sites and thought perhaps other woodworkers would know it. Unfortunately all I have found is backgammon and checkers on other woodworking sites.

If anyone knows the how to play, or just the correct name (the bought game was called Winners Circle) I would very much appreciate if you took the time to answer this post.

Thanks for reading

lil_buddy

Comments (51)

• woodswell
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is this the game?

Here is a link that might be useful: WOODEN HORSE RACE GAME

• lindac
    17 years ago

Interesting....your link goes around in circles just like a cribbage board....

• woodswell
    17 years ago

lindac,

Sheesh - I shouldn't try to post links when I'm all drugged up for my bad knee! Here - hope this is the right page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rules for the Wooden horse races game

• lindac
    17 years ago

Nope....not Cribbage.....
    don't know nuffin' 'bout no horserace game, Miz Scarlett.
    Sorry.

• twinmom71
    17 years ago

Would you please e-mail the template to me? My husband and I want to make the game for my father in law for Christmas.
    Thank you :)

• cher0428
    17 years ago

Would someone please send me the template for making the Wood Horse Racing Game? I would love to make it for my husband's b'day January 31st.

Thank you.

• jblumhardt
    17 years ago

Hello! Would someone be kind enough to email the template and directions for the wood horse racing game. I have been looking all over for it and this is the only site that someone knew what I was talking about. Thank you very much in advanced.

• oldbaldi
    17 years ago

can someone send me the template for this game? is the game got a copyright?

• oldbaldi
    17 years ago

send to oldbaldi@juno.com

• denisemp
    17 years ago

I am also looking for the template for the race horsinf game.................

• iamhip
    17 years ago

Would someone be kind enough to email the template and directions for the wood horse racing game.

• commitable2
    16 years ago

Could someone please send me the template also my in laws loaned theirs out and it has not returned I would also like to make one for myself.. PLEASE Email the template to commitable2@yahoo.com

• mrdave
    16 years ago

HORSE RACING RULES
    Using a regular deck of cards, remove all aces and kings leaving 44 cards (two through queen).
    Set up horses in numerical order.
    Dealer deals all cards to the players until all 44 cards are dealt. Some people may end up with more cards than others.

First person to the left of dealer rolls both dice. The total number is the first "money" horse. Move this horse back one space BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot. Example: A 2 & 5 are rolled. The 7 horse is moved back one space. Anyone with a 7 in their hand throws it in the discard pile and puts 25 cents in the pot. If someone has two 7s, they will throw 50 cents in the pot and discard both 7Âs, three 7Âs is 75 cents, and four 7Âs is $1.00. Now anytime a 7 is rolled, the person rolling the dice will add 25 cents to the pot.

Then next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the second "money" horse. Move this horse back two spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot (50 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll the previous number (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the 25 cents and roll again.

The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the third "money" horse. Move this horse back three spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot (75 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again.
    The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the fourth and last "money" horse. Move this horse back four spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot ($1.00) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again. These four horse will not move again during this game.

Now the game can begin! The next person rolls the dice. The total of the dice indicates the number horse to move one space FORWARD. If a "money" horse number is rolled, the person who rolled it pays the pot the required amount and the dice are passed to the next player. Continue rolling the dice, moving horses forward or paying the pot until one horse reaches the end. The first horse to reach the finish line (last space) is the winner. All players holding that number card wins a fourth of the pot. If a player is holding two winning cards they receive half the pot, three winning cards will receive three quarters of the pot, and four winning cards will receive all of the pot. If there is any extra money that can not be split equally will stay in the pot for the next game.
    Continue the next game the same way with the person to the left of the previous deal now the new dealer.

ENJOY!! AND GOOD LUCK!!

• techy
    16 years ago

Could someone please email the template to me. I need this for my wife's 40th b-day party which is in two days. My email address is dhoerlein1@cinci.rr.com.

Thank you!!

• grace1148
    16 years ago

Could somebody please email me the template as well. I absolutely love this game and have been trying to find it to make my own. My email is cgsearson@juno.com

• chip-2008
    16 years ago

Could someone please send me a horsey game template also. I would like to get this as soon as I can because I would like to make it for my dear old grandfather. I need the one that has golf tees and the holes drilled into the board. My email address is micekfamily@hotmail.com

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Could you post the plans here?

Mongo

• micdot
    16 years ago

DO you think that you would be able to send me the plans to this game? My daughter keeps talking about it and we would love to make it together! Thanks so much, my email is mdkaehler@qwest.net

• denisemac
    15 years ago

i would love a template of the game. Its a blast.

• denisemac
    15 years ago

i would love a copy of the template

• scherff_goldenwest_net
    15 years ago

I would like a copy of the template also.

Thank you.

• jschirico
    15 years ago

Could you send me a copy of the template also.
    Thank you.

• jkmccutchen
    15 years ago

I am wanting to get a template of this game....

Please send me as soon as possible. I want to show some friends this game this weekend.

send to me at:

keith@mccutchenfamily.info

• skanman14
    15 years ago

wow...that's a lotta template, did anyone actually find one? the last time i remeber this post popping up was well over a month ago, whta happened? if anyone found one may i suggest posting it up on a new thread oh...

and id like a template also, post a new thread when anyone finds one

• finnishsisu
    15 years ago

I have googled everything I can think of for the pattern for this game with no results. I would so appreciate the pattern for this game from onyone who might have it. Thank you so much.

• deadbird_tc
    15 years ago

I'd love a copy of the pattern of the wood horse racing game.

Could you send it to deadbird@suddenlink.net

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Tom

• jessehanson2001
    15 years ago

Could I please get the template of the game too?
    THanks a lot!!

• northerngal3
    15 years ago

Hi, I too would love a copy of the pattern for this game as well. Please send to lizzypots@hotmail.com

thank-you

• skanman14
    15 years ago

...this post is now about four months old..

• cynthiamarie_2008
    15 years ago

I've tried to get in touch with MICHSNOWBUNIE further up on this posting who states they have it, but haven't been able to. Has anyone obtained the pattern to make this game? If so would someone Pretty Please e-mail it to me at cindyandnickd@yahoo.com Thank you:-)

• magnet123
    15 years ago

Hello,

Can somebody please send me a template, pattern or plan for this Wooden Horse Racing Game? Please send it to gair12cl@yahoo.com

Thank you.

• csesta_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Don't know if this forum is still active, but I just recently discovered this game via some friends over the past weekend and fell in love with it. So, the next day I made my own template and built my board. Great game!

• chriss_grow
    15 years ago

So, I built my board and I'm pretty pleased with it and how simple it is to make.

Materials:
    Wood OSB 4'x 8' - cut game board to 50"x 30"

Felt - 1 yrd Green for game board and 1 yrd Black for backing (optional)

Adhesive Spray for felt

Tacks - wrap green felt edges to back of board and tack

Stencils - Lettering / I made the horse stencils

Black Fabric Pen for lettering, lines and graphics - You'll probably want more than one seeing that it takes a lot of ink to go onto the felt. I used 3 or 4 pens

Horses - I got these at a local dollar store - my wife made the racing blankets for the horses and glued numbers to them by using felt.

Dimensions of inner squares 2.5" x 5" - I used a yard stick to keep everything in line.

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's pretty cheap only cost me about $40 bucks to make. Well worth it for the amount of fun you get playing it.

The rules are the same as "mrdave" posted except i just made squares for the "money" horses.

Here's some pics!

{{gwi:2099237}}

Hope this helps!

• kenkel22
    15 years ago

this is great! I played this game years ago at a Kentucky Derby party. I would love to have a template to create race horse wooden cutouts. In our experience, the grid was actually marked out in chalk on a driveway or in a garage floor in case of rain and the game was played with lifesize game pieces (hence the racehorse cutout needed). The markers stood a couple feet off the ground and were moved by each person playing in that round. SO much fun! Thank you for posting this info! If someone could tell me the best type of saw and wood to use to make something like this and let me know where I could find a template that would be great!

• donlebrun_att_net
    13 years ago

I also would like you to mail me a template of this game board. I played it many years ago and roughed it out on a piece of note paper and placed in my personal file. When I pulled it out to make the board I couldn't understand my scratching. Thank you in advance.

• benrouted
    12 years ago

I made this horse race game board in 2009. The board was lined and routed, then stained. Letting the stain settle into the routed lines makes them darker than the surface. I used vinyl decals to label the board and then coated the surface with multiple coats of polyurethane.

The horses & jockeys are plastic cake toppers. They come painted identically, so I custom painted the jockey silks to make them each a bit different. The horse cards were purchased online- Horses of the World set. We use 4 pairs of dice and keep one pair in each corner of the board- that way no one has to reach too far across the board to get the dice.

Mini poker chips are used instead of coins- the set I use are sold under the name Poker-to-Go. Finally, I had a small plastic trophy Winners Cup made in which to put the chips when players have to pay into the pot.
    Here are some pics.

• sparks5ohs
    10 years ago

I know the last post on this was over two years ago, but is anyone able to email me the template for this game? I woudl love to make it for my children for Christmas this year. Thank you!!! mischelle@knitpiky.com

• shelly1367
    10 years ago

I know this post is fairly old but I was wondering if anyone could email me the plans for this horse racing game? Beckfarm2002@hotmail.com

My children played it at a city festival and would love for me to make it for them!

• andrearmw
    8 years ago

I see this post is a few years old but I just have to say BRAVO to those who made their own custom games. They are gorgeous!

• Lisa Volk
    6 years ago
    Yes I have directions at home!
  • Karen Mitchell
    5 years ago

Lisa - if you have plans, are you willing to share with me??? mitchsomil@att.net

Thanks,

Karen

• lianeastman
    5 years ago

Lisa, I see you posted on Feb 1 of this year. Could you please send me directions? lianeastman@yahoo.com I can't wait to make this! :)

• HU-872301068
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Could someone email me this template please?

oldbaldi@yahoo.com

• HU-222909579
    3 years ago

I know this post is quite old, has anyone gotten the template? Or does anyone have the template that would e-mail it to me, please? I have searched high and low for one forever now and have come up empty handed. If someone has the time and wouldn't mind e-mailing the template to me I would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

ktdodge.kd@gmail.com

• Jennifer Wehmeyer
    2 years ago

I am interested in the template as well. Could someone email it to me at jenfrin116@gmail.com? Thank you in advance!

• HU-130495382
    2 years ago

HORSE RACE GAME

GAME PLAY INSTRUCTIONS:

You will need a deck of cards, pair of dice, and your Horse Race Game Board.

First, remove the Aces, Kings, and Jokers. Shuffle and deal out all the cards. Not everyone will necessarily get the same amount of cards.

Place all the horses on the starting line. Before the race begins, 4 horses must be scratched. So that begins with the player to the left of the dealer rolling the dice. The total of the two dice is the horse number scratched, and it is moved back to the first row. For example if the total was nine, then the horse in row nine is moved back to the 5 cent row. Then all players check to see if they have any nines, and pay 5 cents in the pot for every nine they had in their hand. Then the nines are removed and placed to the side.

Then the next player to the left rolls the dice for the 2nd scratched horse. The number of that horse is moved two rows back to the 10 cent row, which costs 10 cents per card for anyone with that matching card. This continues two more time for the 15 cent and 20 cent row which will mean that there is now 4 scratched horses.

If by chance, a person is rolling the dice, and the dice equals a horse already scratched, then that person puts in the amount of that scratched horse. Which will be 5,10, 15 or 20 cents, then the player passes the dice to the next player.

Note: a dice pair roll that is a five and a six = 11 so that is a Jack. And if you roll a pair of sixes = 12 so that is a Queen.

The horses that remain on the starting line are now ready for the race.

The next player rolls the dice, and that amount, is the horse that moves up one spot.

If that amount equals a scratched horse, then that player pays the scratched value of that horse which will be either 5,10,15 or 20 cents depending which row that horse is on.

Players keep taking turns until one horse crosses the finish line. (The Last hole at the top of the board. past the red finish line.)

The cards in your hand determine the payout of the winnings. If for example the 10th horse wins the race and you have a 10 in your hand, then you would win 25% of the pot. If you have all four 10 s in your hand, then you would win 100% of the pot. No matching cards, no winnings.

Once the pot is divided, Then the horses are once again placed at the starting line, then the cards are placed to the next player and shuffled, then the next race can begin again.

NOTE: If people don't want to play for money, then use poker chips or some other substitute.

2-10 players can play this game.

• Sylvana Hale
    2 years ago

Please email me the template. SylvanaScheffer@yahoo.com

• HU-271057975
    2 years ago

i would love to have this game at my ky derby party in may. Would someone please email the template to marthamorris95@gmail.com

thank you

• Jess W
    2 months ago

Would anyone be interested in making me a personalized felt game board?