Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut top island with sink and two dishwashers in it

Posted by southern_2008 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 9:48

Hi Guys

Looking at doing either a granite island or a walnut strips laminated together top island. My island is 116" X 54" so it will be my main working area and will have two dishwashers and a large copper sink in the middle. It's also where my kids will do their homework, etc. (i.e. writing on paper-they're boys and there is no way I am going to get them to put something under the paper every time!! ;)

I will have granite perimeter countertops so I could set hot pots on those but my main working area would be walnut (should we choose to do it). I realize end grain is the best for chopping, then edge grain (dont care much for the stripey look) and then face grain (which is of course the one I like the most). The other thing is that I love the walnut when it is stained (even though it is a gorgeous color naturally). Would it be crazy to have a stained walnut laminated island as my main work area? I would not chop on it but I mean even for things like homework and having a sink in there--would it not be smart? If I used the edge grain and had it stained and then Waterlox put on it, would it not be so stripey? What are your thoughts on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut top island with sink and two dishwashers in it

I wouldn't advise chopping on an edge-grain (plank glue up) wood countertop. End grain with a renewable finish is fine, but not edge.

The countertop over dishwashers needs to be protected, especially if there is a vent at the top of the dishwasher door that will vent hot moist air onto the edge of the wood counter top.

Walnut is not too striped, you can stain it as well if you have wild grain. Now zerbrawood, that's striped.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mongo

o

Mongo, those are two GORGEOUS countertops! Just too pretty to use. Wow!

o

Water and wooden counter tops are rarely a good idea.

No finish (except for maybe poured on types) are really adequate to seal wood against constant moisture.

o

Walnut counters sure are popping up a lot lately. I'm putting walnut counters in my kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here