Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southern_2008

Walnut top island with sink and two dishwashers in it

southern_2008
15 years ago

Hi Guys

Looking at doing either a granite island or a walnut strips laminated together top island. My island is 116" X 54" so it will be my main working area and will have two dishwashers and a large copper sink in the middle. It's also where my kids will do their homework, etc. (i.e. writing on paper-they're boys and there is no way I am going to get them to put something under the paper every time!! ;)

I will have granite perimeter countertops so I could set hot pots on those but my main working area would be walnut (should we choose to do it). I realize end grain is the best for chopping, then edge grain (dont care much for the stripey look) and then face grain (which is of course the one I like the most). The other thing is that I love the walnut when it is stained (even though it is a gorgeous color naturally). Would it be crazy to have a stained walnut laminated island as my main work area? I would not chop on it but I mean even for things like homework and having a sink in there--would it not be smart? If I used the edge grain and had it stained and then Waterlox put on it, would it not be so stripey? What are your thoughts on this?

Comments (4)