Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning oak bannister

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 9:41

I have an old bannister and railings in my home for about 22 years.
I do not want to change the color at all but I do notice that the railings especially the two large posts, oe at bottom of stairs and one at top are very dirty and blackish looking. What can I use to clean these two area. I am not wanting to re-stain, just clean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning oak bannister

Start with a mild detergent such as Dawn and water. If there is grease build up, follow with mineral spirits or naphtha. In extreme cases, I use a product that is chemically similar to Formula 409, wiping with it and then rinsing with clear water.

Note, though, that chronic long term exposure to acidic body oils can degrade finish into goo. Remove the goo and there is no finish there (only the goo that used to be finish). At that point you should at least re-seal with a finish product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving the finish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here