Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
detailer - sander

Posted by ready2moves (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 9:07

I am sanding off the finish on a table, to refinish it. I have a palm sander and have generally sanded by hand in the corners and detail. Well, this table has more than I care for to do by hand, as my fingers are really sore. (getting old here). :)
I would like to buy another electric sander for detail work. I would like recommendations, please. My only request is that its easy to hold and use. Being female, my palm sander has a huge grip on it for me. I am small boned, and not too happy with such a huge grip. Any suggestions for me, please??? Easy to use too, please or change pieces on.
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: detailer - sander

I have found that the large orbital finishing sanders work well in shelves and tables because they are big enough I can use both hands.

Their weight on the paper is enough to do the job and I just steer it up and down the grain.

If you are talking about small details, the sander has to be smaller than the detail ... I start with the big one and move to the 1/4 sheet sander and then a sanding sponge if need be.

o

Another reason why sanding off old finish (instead of using a chemical stripper) is just plain wrong, not merely a bad idea.

o

Fein once owned the detail sander market but their patent expired and now just about everyone makes something similar. Try your local hardware store or home center and see what you like.

o

I have the Fein and detail sander attachment. It works OK on raw wood, but gums up pretty quickly on finish.

o

I've used chemical stripers too. Its messy, and its chemicals. I usually like sanding the intricate details, but my fingers are just not cooperating anymore.
Hit the big box store today, and saw some sanders I thought might work. (detail sander)
Yea, I know the sander gums up. :) I think I just want a new toy! :) I just thought those who do this more than I do, could recommend their fav toy.
thanks!!!! :)
ps saw a belt sander today, i'd love to have, except if i came home with it, I am pretty sure my hubby would know it was NOT going to do detail work.

o

"Its messy, and its chemicals."

Probbaly no worse than turning the cured finish unto dust and then breathing it.

EVERYTHING is chemicals, with all sorts of toxicity levels.

Drink enough water faster enough and it will kill you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here