Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disassembling an old upright piano

Posted by rwms (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 8:56

Hi. A couple of years back I purchased an old upright piano from a thrift store. Circumstances have dictated that I no longer have room for it, and since it neeeds repair, no one else wants it either. I absolutely love the wood, and one can't buy such materials anymore, so I would like to disassemble it and reuse the wood for various projects. Does anyone have any idea where a novice, like me, can find some hints on disassebling this beauty to minimize any damage? Thank you in advance. Darlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disassembling an old upright piano

Hi, remove the action, it is held in with a few screws at the tops of the metal brackets. The screws usually have large knurled heads and are turned by hand after loosening with a screwdriver. The strings need to be cut out one at a time, after first taking off the tension with a tuning hammer with the appropriately-sized socket/head. There is something like 35k lbs. of string tension in an upright piano. Be careful, as strings can snap (explosively) while loosening.
Cut the strings out with wire cutters and dispose of one by one, or you'll have quite a tangle of strings. The cut ends will be very sharp, leather gloves and goggles are a must. The iron frame is very well secured to the wood frame with huge wood screws. Once the iron frame is loose, it can be broken to pieces with a sledgehammer for easier removal. Removing the keys and trapwork is fairly simple.
The best wood would be the heavy maple posts of the frame, and maybe the decorative work holding up the key cheeks. The rest is veneer over a substrate of inferior lumber. On better pianos, the case will have a lot of visible screws to remove, and still need some mallet blows to break the old hot glue joints. Inferior pianos may have early assembly screws veneered over so you may never find them. At any stage, you can wreck the veneer while breaking the glue's bond. Hot vinegar/water can be flowed into a joint to dissolve the glue, but too much exposure will also dissolve the veneer's glue, so it's risky both ways.
Be really careful with the string removal.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here