Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak porch posts?

Posted by dogridge (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 8:34

I am remodeling the front porch and would like to cover the existing posts with 1 x 6 rough sawn oak to simulate the look of old oak beams. I would also like to add large (4 x 6) oak braces.

The areas will be covered by deep eaves, but still outdoors.

What type of finish (if any) should I use? I want it to look old, but at the same time, I don't want to replace it in 2 yrs either. What type of shrinkage should I expect? This will be uncured, rough sawn lumber.

Thanks for your advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak porch posts?

Couple of thoughts.

Red oak doesn't handle being wet very well. If these posts tend to get wet often, white oak would be the better choice.

Shrinkage depends on the moisture content at installation and, to a lesser degree, on whether these posts get much direct sun or are always shaded. "Uncured" isn't nearly specific enough to make predictions. If the wood is freshly cut and soaking wet, shrinkage will be considerable. If it's been stacked outdoors for several months, shrinkage may be negligible.

o

I am planning to use White oak, seems to be a little more rot resistant.

The boards will be freshly cut, though I don't know how long the logs have been sitting at the mill. There will be very little direct sun exposure. Should I stack the lumber on the porch for a few weeks prior to installation?

o

A lot depends on how everything will be put together, but building with green wood is a very dicey proposition. The wood will shrink considerably as it dries, joints may partially disassemble themselves, etc. A flatsawn white oak board that starts out at 8" wide when wet will shrink to around 7.5" before it stabilizes.

A few weeks of sitting on the porch is not enough to save you from this issue. Fresh sawn, the wood will be sopping wet. Half of its weight might be water. Much of that water will evaporate in those few weeks on the porch, but the shrinkage won't even start until the moisture content gets below 30%, by which point drying will slow considerably. FWIW, a common rule of thumb is that air drying lumber takes about a year per inch of thickness.

In short, I wouldn't do what you're thinking of doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here