Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior wood door stain and seal - help please

Posted by milele (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 8:31

Hi, we just purchased a Simpson wood door for our main entrance door. We will add a storm door but I need to be sure that we stain and seal the door because I want to reduce maintenance and i need a darker color.. I am in NEw Engand and oil exterior paint is not available. The door will be installed shortly and I need to stain when it is on (I know it is not an ideal situation). The door is Fir Douglas. Suggestion on stain and seal? I need brand suggestions. Here the recommendations of the manufacturer but no best brand mentioned.
http://www.simpsondoor.com/care-finishing/
I have read stain is ok and then clear exterior oil paint but, as said, I cannot use oil paint in MA. thanks Milele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior wood door stain and seal - help please

Personally a good BM or SW exterior quality stain should be fine and Flecto Varathane Diamond finish waterbourne poly would be good. There are probably experienced guys on here who would prefer other products but people I have reconmmened this to in the past ahve had good success

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here