Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_velvet_elvis

minwax woodsheen rubbing oil stain & finish

blue_velvet_elvis
17 years ago

Any opinions on this product? I've never stained anything before and I'm not confident I can do a good job. The windsor oak color is the color I'm looking for. Will this do a good job for me?

The applications will be on oak. A fireplace mantle, stairway and trim work.

Comments (5)

• caunicume_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I would like to purchase this product and I can't find anyone online that will let me put this product in a cart. I can see the product on differant web sites and I have read reviews but I have been unsuccessful in being able to make a purchase. Why is this so difficult. C

• RoxanneMlekush_comcast_net
    12 years ago

They don't manufacture this product ( Minwax Wood-Sheen Rubbing Oil Stain And Finish ) any longer.
    Because the environmentalists were against the ingredient's.
    They now sell a product called Wood-Sheen Water-Based Stain And Finish, which is garbage.
    It's a shame that they no longer make the rubbing oil stain and finish as it was the most wonderful and best product I have ever used for furniture finishing and even just in- between brighten ups. It worked perfect and looked amazing.
    The new water-based in rosewood, looks like smeared chocolate paste when you apply it and it leaves smear streaks that won't come off. It's really nasty and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I have gone back to the 2-step process of minwax stain followed up with Formsby Tung Oil.

• User
    12 years ago

Ton date, there is not a combination stain finish worth reading the lable on, much less buying or using.

Sand, stain(dye is better but more involved) , sand and several coats of finish.

• cheryle_nolke
    5 years ago

What a shame min wax discontinued this product. I even used on my foyer floor and it looked great and lasted a year. Now I can't find anything that compares and is as easy to use. Once in a while the environmentalist need to take a step back.. A lot of us are environmental protective also but we still need to live. Sure wish min wax would create another product as good and easy..

• badknee
    3 months ago

The environmentalists are usually rich people who can afford to have professionals refinish their furniture or worse they buy new and fill up the landfills with their old furniture. The rest of us making do with what we have are now left with an inferior product instead of one that makes our lives less difficult, more beautiful and in the long run actually saves the environment by keeping old furniture out of the landfills.