Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet end panels

Posted by prairiefox (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 15, 08 at 8:12

I asked this question over at Home Repairs but maybe this is the better forum. The end caps of my cabinets, I believe, are a thin sheet of veneer. Anyhow, some ends have faded badly and what I want to know does one replace this or could I restain them where they are? If I do replace them, do I get replacement sheets at Home Depot type places? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet end panels

If the cabinets are made with MDF, then that is veneer. It will be very thin, so any sanding has to be done very carefully and any stripping with chemical compounds also carefully done.

If the cabinets are plywood, the top layer is also veneer and may be even thinner.

If you can find out what stain and finish were used, it may be possible for you to remove the finish and restain in place. It is not a DIY friendly job unless the DIYer has some experience with that kind of thing.

o

I am an insurance adjuster and wanted to know if you have a video or detailed instruction on replacing the cabinet end panel, not the veneer, we have contractors who do it and sometimes when you explaine it to a customer they dont understand and would like to have information for them to view.

o

Pull them off and replace them.

If they are 'skins' you may be able to just attach a new panel over the old with little real effort.
It depends on how much reveal will remain to any frame around the end panel.

If you have framed end panels thyy may have been just nailed to the cabinet side to create the appearance of a panel.

You can often pull them off and replace them with a whole new framed end panel.

Look inside the cabinet first though, sometimes they are screwed in place from the inside of the cabinet into the framing around the perimeter of the panel.
Since no one sees the inside usually, the flat head screws are left exposed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here