Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repairing Melamine

Posted by johnc777 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 7:59

I have a couple of cabinet doors with "Euro" type hinges that I need to replace the hinges. Of course, the screw holes of the new hinges don't match the holes of the old hinges. I even checked with the manufacturer of the original hinges and they've since "updated" their hinges with a new hole pattern.

To make matters worse there are little plastic inserts (maybe 5/16") where the old screws are. Any suggestions on how to repair these holes?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repairing Melamine

You could pull the inserts, fill with Bondo, trim flush and paint, but it may not look a whole lot better than simply leaving them alone.

o

You can get white melamine "screw covers." Pull the plastic inserts. Ensure the holes are smooth (haven't mushroomed out). If they have, you can use a countersink bit to clean them up. From a distance, they'll look fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: White melamine screw covers

o

Why are you worrying about what the back of the doors looks like?

o

Brickeyee,

You've obviously never met most of my customers.

o

I am amazed to hear that Brick is the kind of contractor who would leave the insides of the doors looking like a mason bee house.

Anyway, the complication here might be that you need to redrill very close to or partly on the old holes, both on the door and on the cabinet boxes.

If that is the case, I think the best you can do is something like bondo, or a wood replacement putty (after removing the plastic sleeve) that you can drill into - read some labels carefully at the hardware store/lumberyard or ask for advice there.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here