Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
protecting wood surface when using brad nailer

Posted by mabeldingeldine (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 7:26

I have an inexpensive pneumatic brad nailer, which is has proved very handy for my DIY projects. One problem with it is the nailer can leave dents in the surface of the wood when using on pine for example. Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing these dents? I'm currently installing beadboard in my bathroom and would like to prevent any dents where I can't nail into the tongue/groove.

I suspect a more expensive nailer would prevent this, but as I don't use this tool to the point I'm willing to upgrade -- too many other needs in front.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: protecting wood surface when using brad nailer

Most nailers have a rubber tip and more expensive models have an adjustable depth adjustment.

I have two Porter Cable finish nailers with such features. One is a 16 gauge nailer and the other an 18 gauge nailer.

When nailing pine molding, I often set the nailer so it leaves the nail above the surface and then use a pin punch(or appropriately sized nail set) to sink the nail. That still leaves a small hole, but that happens with any nail, even hand driven.

An appropriate nail hole filler is then used to hide the hole.

Finding the right filler material may be your best fix. There are pre-colored pastes, filler sticks, and stainable fillers(which usually do not match well).

o
RE: protecting wood surface when using brad nailer

You can interpose a wood shim between the work and the gun tip, nailing right through it; that saves the wood from the impact dents, but may leave the nail proud of the surface. Gun nails are notoriously hard to set after the fact.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here