Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahmakes6

I need to raise my dining table

sarahmakes6
16 years ago

I purchased this oak dining set from an older couple who bought it new around 1950. While looking at it my husband and I crawled under it, pulled out the extension, tested the leaves, the sturdiness, the solidity, etc. The one thing we did not do until we got it home, however, was sit at it. It just didn't cross my mind, for some reason, which frustrates me as we were trying to be very careful.

Turns out it's short. The table top sits at 28" with a 3.5" apron. The kids and I can scoot under it, but DH doesn't fit. Not exactly ideal. As I see it I have two options: The first is to raise the table by putting something under the feet. I'm wondering if there were originally casters on the table as it has little metal doughnut-type rings under the feet. Casters would obviously not be pretty. I shopped a bit for something else to put under the bottom of the legs, but I didn't really find anything great. The second option I can see is to change the legs. That presents a staining problem, of course, but I've been considering painting the apron and legs black and leaving the top stained.

We don't want to sell it and start over as it has a lot of the qualities we really wanted and needed in a table.

What would you do if this were your table?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County