Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!

Posted by tinabinabobina (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 2:36

I painted a chair and shortly after painted a top coat of varnish on it to give it a rich shine.....The paint was dry to the touch before I put the varnish on, but it was out in the garage were it has been cool and damp. It's been 48 hours and it's still sticky......is this normal or did I make a big mistake? If so what can I do now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!

What kind of paint? What kind of varnish?

o

Can you bring the chair in to a heated space? This might help. On the other hand, if the finishes were incompatible, that's another issue.

o

I used Latex paint and a oil based stain. Should I maybe seal it with a polyurethane? Thanks for your help. I did bring the chair inside, hopefully it'll cure.

o

You may get lucky, but you may also have to start over. "Dry to the touch" is not enough when switching between latex and oil finishes. It would've been best not to do this at all, but at the very least you should've let the latex cure completely (like for a day or two) before topcoating.

o

You have used three terms for the materials you used---latex, oil based stain and varnish. Stains are not finishes and may not dry when applied to a painted surface.

If you painted the chair with latex paint and then applied an oil based stain, the stain cannot be absorbed into the wood---the intended and designed purpose---so it can only sit on top of the paint. Eventually the oil based carrier will dry, but the stain particles wlii still be smearable.

If you used an oil based varnish over the paint, the varnish may be too old and will not dry properly.

Give the chair a couple of days in the warm interior and check it. If it is still wet, simply use paint thinner to get as much of the stuff off. Thinner will not hurt the latex(unless it was not dry) and you can sand lightly and try a new varnish.

o

In addition to all the misuses and incompatibilities noted above, water borne finishes can take up to three weeks, at a temperature above 65 degrees, with nothing on top, to properly cure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here