Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murphysf

Oak Threshold � Sealer? How to protect / treat?

murphysf
11 years ago

Oak Threshold � Sealer? How to protect / treat?

Hello

I just had a new vinyl floor installed in my kitchen. I removed the oak threshold so that the installer could run the vinyl under the threshold. The threshold cracked in a couple of places when I removed it.

I just went to the lumber yard and purchased a nice new threshold. It is a beautiful piece of oak and measures 4-5/8� and I 5/8" thick. I would like to treat the oak threshold before I install it and was wondering what I should use? A sealer? I don�t want to stain or paint it or change the color, just and to seal it to protect it. What are the better products on the market for this? Sikkens?

The threshold is an exterior door to my kitchen. The onside part is sheltered and the threshold never sees rain or direct sunlight as there is an enclosed (tunnel like) pathway to the door. Nevertheless I would like to protect it as it could get wet as I often hose off the area around it.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Use any of the waterproofing sealants, such as Waterlox, Thompsons, etc. Or a couple coats of an exterior grade clear varnish (top and bottom of the piece)

About every year you will have to check it and maybe do a light scuff-sanding and a couple coats of finish on the top. thresholds get beat up quickly.

Caulk the edges so water doesn't get under it when you hose off the area (I'd start sweeping that area).

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Varnish.

'Rock Hard' table top varnish (Behlen brad) does VERY well.

Around $30 a quart, but that should be more than enough.

• nan-nan
    11 years ago

Is it too cold now in the north to work with a threshold? We have some old ones that need to be sanded and sealed in our 1920-something house in Ontario.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I was under the impression that it was an interior threshold (also called a saddle).
    Casey

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Is it too cold now in the north to work with a threshold? "

Not if you do the work inside before final installation.

You might have a caulk issue if there is not a storm door.

• ravenh2001
    11 years ago

Go to a high end boat yard and ask for spar varnish. If you go to the right place they might have some left from a job.We always open new for every job even if we finished old job yesterday. They pay 59 dollars an hour for our refinish time and no one wants us to start with an old can or brush. Also ask for a small(3oz)tube of 4200 in tan to calk with it is the best but expensive. One of the perks where I work is 1,000,000 dollar yacht finishes on an old piece of furnature. I also have a piece of farm equipment primed with underwater metal primer and finished with Allgrip.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I have an oak threshold between a new living room addition of hardwood flooring and an older hardwood flooring in my DR. I just finished my threshold with the same Minwax poly that I finished the new wood floor in. Looks great!

• PRO
    Precision Carpentry
    9 years ago

On an exterior door I would use spar varnish and make sure you use a sill pan under it. Caulk and Minwax finishes will not hold up well.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living