Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refacing previously refaced kitchen cabinets?

Posted by scarletshouse (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 0:22

Hi everyone. This is only my second post on this board but I've been reading and learning from it for a long time.

I have kitchen cabinets which were refaced in alder wood by the previous homeowner. Although they are in very nice condition, I dislike the color and want to either refinish or reface. My preference is refacing because I've had this done in another house and it truly looks like new cabinets. I know all doors and drawers are replaced, but how would this work for the bases?

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refacing previously refaced kitchen cabinets?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "bases." Are you talking about the carcases for wall and base cabinets? So I'm not sure what your question is.

My only concern would be that the prior refacing is sound and well-adhered to the face frames.

The book below has a good treatise on the subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: book on subject

o
RE: Refacing previously refaced kitchen cabinets?

Yes, I'm concerned about the face frames that are already covered in one layer of refacing. Was wondering if they just get covered over with another layer or if the first layer has to come off. It just seems like a second layer would make for a very thick cabinet. They do seem sound. I believe it was done professionally, so well that I didn't realize at first that they had been refaced.

This is not something I would tackle myself, but just trying to educate myself before I call a contractor who might promise results that can't be achieved.

Thank you for the link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here