Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sawdustcity

Floorboard troubles

sawdustcity
16 years ago

I have a laminate floor installed - it is a Dupont, and the color is like a warm oak. The floorboards on my little condo are stained, but the stain is so old that I have used stripper more than once, and the color of the wood looks almost the same as it did before I started. The shoes (those little round strips on the floor next to the floorboards) are bare wood (the originals were missing). I tried to stain the bare shoes wood, but it looks horrible - that, combined with the originally stained floorboards looks like a mishmash of color. The floor doesn't match either the shoes, or the the floorboards. I told a friend that I felt like painting the trim white - he didn't like that idea at all, and said that they make some stuff now where you can paint on polyurethane and it looks like oak - is that true? I would just like to have the floorboards/shoes matching. Another problem is that the bare wood shoes are crummy wood, and don't seem to have much grain. I used an older Minwax product that I had in the basement and it sunk in some areas and didn't on others - Minwax suggested using it on bare wood, so that is what I did. At any rate, everything is a mess. I was reading about Minwas Polyshades - has anyone used it? Does it sound like a good idea. Bottom line: I just want the dang stuff to look nice. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you! Sorry for being so long-winded.

Comments (3)