Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mission table construction

Posted by chiefneil (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 23:11

I'm planning on making this table, so right now I'm trying to figure out whether or not it has traditional stretchers at the top. From the picture it doesn't appear to have them, but that begs the question of what's helping to resist racking at the top of the base.

Anyway, my preference would be to avoid the stretchers since it's a dining table and I'd like the knee room. If you're familiar with this style of construction and know what the top section of the base should look like, I'd appreciate some tips.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mission table construction

That's got some obvious mission-style elements but it's not a purist's interpretation, and I doubt there's a traditional or "correct" way of building it. Do you have a better picture that makes the construction of the top clearer? It seems pretty unlikely that it would be one massive, solid slab, so my guess is that it's plywood framed with a tall, solid edge, in which case those edges might act as stretchers.

o

Thanks for the comments jon. Unfortunately I don't have any other photos - I found this one online while surfing for inspiration.

o

Those legs look to be about 6x6. Assuming that you will make the top of plywood with a framed edge, I would screw a top plate of plywood about 16" x the width of the top to the top of the legs and then screw that top plate to the bottom of the top. That, combined with the bottom stretcher, should make it quite sturdy.

o

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I want to do the top as a solid slab so I can have a hand-planed/scraped look to it, probably with exposed end-grain on the ends to show it's solid and for a slightly rustic look.

I'm thinking I might use trestle-style construction for the top of the legs and for the attachment. That is, connect each pair of legs on each side with a stretcher across the top of the legs. Then drill some enlarged holes and use screws with washers to attach through that to the top. And also beef up that lower stretcher for strength.

o

That looks like a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright furniture. There are many books on his furniture that probably have some good details about the consrtruction. You could take a look. It might haelp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here