Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lipstick on a pig: plywood dresser makeover

Posted by franksmom_2010 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 23:11

So, I had this dresser, and came here for advice on refinishing.

Photobucket

I hadn't realized that it was plywood, and I got great advice on how best to finish it.

After a thorough cleaning, I sanded VERY carefully, doing as little hand sanding as possible, and only using a block when I did that. I didn't want to accent the grain any more than it already was. I was able to knock down the grain a bit, but stopped when I was satisfied with it. I removed the formica top, sanded and patched the top plywood, then added a carved trim.

I primed with BIN, then used a satin finish paint to minimize the sheen. I painted the inside of the drawers a pale teal color, then finished with new hardware.

It's still not a great piece of furniture, but it has a new look that better suits our bedroom, and I'm hoping we'll get a few more years of use out of it.

Photobucket

To be fair, here's a pic with flash, taken in the same lighting as the "before" pic:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks again for all of the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lipstick on a pig: plywood dresser makeover

WOW! That's gorgeous. I'd say you made a silk purse from a sow's ear. Great job!

o

Very nice job!

o

Thanks so much! I've painted lots of furniture, but I'm always learning something new. Fir plywood was new to me, so it was interesting to see how it would go.

I used a "Ultra white" paint, which I'm not sure I would do again on such a large piece. It's so bright, stark white, it almost glows! The satin sheen was a good choice, though. I've used it for other pieces, and I've found it to be very forgiving on an imperfect surface, and it gives the furniture a soft glow, instead of being so shiny.

I had never used a miter box or done any kind of trim work, and I thought this would be a good practice piece. I learned a few tricks doing that, too.

o

A million times better!! Nice job.

o

Very nice job! It's clean and tidy and inconspicuous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here