Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stairs and floor mismatch - please help

Posted by amd111 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 22:59

I believe the stain applied by our builder on our stairs/railings doesn't match pre-finished hardwood floor. It is not what we ordered (brownish floor) vs. (reddish stairs/railings). Both should be brownish. Is it possible to re stain the stairs/railing to match pre-finished hardwood floor.
According to the builder's inspector, "they have not put the finish coats yet so it wont be that hard". So is it possible?

Should we ask the builder to redo it or is it too risky?

I'm just afraid after resending and all, the color still won't much, and there is a chance whoever will do that will damage hardwood floor and/or carpet installed on the second floor.

I'm meeting the builder's inspector tomorrow, so any help/tips/info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stairs and floor mismatch - please help

A link to some pictures....

Here is a link that might be useful: stairs vs. floor mismatch

o

Can it be made to match? Maybe?
Can the people doing it manage to get it right? Don't know.
Will it age the same over several years of exposure and use? LIkely not.

It's not as simple as just opening a can of #244 instead of #243.

o

I would let this one go. In the pictures, at least, the difference is subtle and doesn't bother me at all. It looks like the flooring was factory-finished, the stairs finished on site. If the processes and materials are not identical, so you shouldn't expect their appearance to be identical. Your contractor might manage to satisfy part of your preference, i.e. make the stairway less reddish, but cause some other problem in the process such as making the stairs noticeably darker. The risks and costs of futzing with this are real, and the potential benefits seem small. Unless the photos are misleading, I'd focus my energies elsewhere.

o

You cannot tell what the final color is until the final finish coat is applied.

Any adjustment you try at this point without a test piece (same wood, same finish) is likely to end up not matching after the final finish is applied.

The risers appear to be rotary cut veneer.
This takes stain differently than the solid wood of the treads, even if they are the same species of wood.

It is a project all by itself to make things like this match perfectly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here