Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lap joint in crown molding

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 22:23

I'm about to tackle my first crown molding project and I need to make a lap joint. It sounds like the best way to make this is via a tilting miter saw. Any good means to do it if all I have is a non-tilting miter saw? What I seem to see is that I need to hold the trim at the spring angle against the fence but I don't feel confident the two cuts will match up. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lap joint in crown molding

That could be a little tricky without a compound miter saw. I'm assuming the crown is too tall to cut in the vertical position?

The only thing I can think of is to make some kind of auxiliary table to support the moulding at the appropriate angle.

o

Make pencil marks on the fence and table so you can position both pieces the same.
Even better, you can add an insert table with a wooden stop strip that holds the molding at the same spring angle every time.
You can correct the second piece with a block plane as needed.
Casey

o

I have a compound miter saw but rarely use it in compound mode to cut compound miters. I much prefer to hold the molding upside down at the appropriate spring angle (pretend the fence is the wall and the table is the ceiling). It's just a lot more foolproof and when switching from left to right, you just swing to the right miter angle (e.g., 45 or 22.5) and ignore the tilt angle. So there's one simple setting instead of two complex ones every time you round a corner.

If you're doing a lot, make a little carriage that you can clamp to your table with a stop to hold the molding in the right position.

o

Scarf joints work better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here