Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with a color for this Cypress

Posted by kntryhuman (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 21:33

These are custom built Cypress cabinets that I'm having a hard time deciding how to finish. I was going to use Waterlox but it turns them an amber/orangey color.

The wood has beautiful grain and I like the light color. What can I use on them. They're in a 106+ year old house so I don't want anything painted or contemporary.

The floors are Brazilian Cherry that will be sealed with Waterlox.

Peninsula 10-12-09
Right of sink 10-12-09
Copper sink 10-12-09
Cabinets - sink base
Top cabinet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with a color for this Cypress

My architect showed me a sample of brown/coffee Cypress wood that I considered for kitchen cabinets. I really liked it - it looked like wenge but without the wood cuts. Depends on whether you are looking for something that dark.

o

Maybe Watco oil would not darken the wood as much as Waterlox. You could apply a wipe-on satin poly over it for more water protection without looking plastic-y. Personally, I feel that cypress is the most sublime of all softwoods, and I would never stain it.
The copper sink is very orange in places, it would seem, and I think that the waterlox finish would actually be perfect for the intended use. The color is going to mellow out over time. A penetrating finish is really the thing for cypress, as surface finishes, varnish included, tend to be prone to peeling.
Casey

o

I don't want to go really dark. The floor is Brazilian Cherry and very dark. The walls are very dark blue/black.

I definitely want a penetrating stain. I got another piece of wood to play around with and I'm going to try mixing the stain with the Waterlox instead of putting straight stain. I'm going to check with the Benjamin Moore dealer here. They mixed a color to match the Brazilian Cherry that went on Mahogany and it's perfect.

It's so hard making a decision because I only have one chance. I can't redo it like painting a wall over.

The copper sink is actually very dark. The orange spots are a reflection of the flash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here