Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I make a frame for a wall mirror?

Posted by dancingqueen (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 21:17

I have two large mirrors glued to the bathroom wall. 36- 48. I'd like to get some wood casing, stain it and glue it to the mirrors as a frame. I did look at mirror ma..... but they are too thick to clear the faucet so I want to use a relatively flat casing. I'm thinking of using a hemlock casing so I can stain it. Could use lightweight MDF and paint it. Can this be done? Any tips? TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I make a frame for a wall mirror?

Since it is in a bathroom you might want to stay away from MDF, but paint grade poplar, or similar should work fine. You might even rabbet the stock you use to mirror thickness so it will fit tight to both wall and mirror.

o

Look beyond flat casings to various profiles that have a step (rabbet) in the back. This might be something among chair rail, back band, or wainscot caps at your local millwork supplier (eg see link below). I've even used flooring reducers or transitions. You can see many options if you wander around this site under products/mouldings.

Go to a specialty shop for maximum selection, although the big box stores will have one or two such items.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair rail profiles

o

You can also simply have any molding pattern you like rabbeted (or do it yourself with a router) and use it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here