Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too dark of stain

Posted by jtruax3 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 21:07

Ok so Im replacing all my trim in my house with red oak.I had the shop thats making my trim also mix me some stain,the sample they made me was to my liking so I did a few samples on some small pieces before I started actually staning all my pieces.The problem is I think I put too much stain on and now its too dark.The way they said to do it was to just rub it in and leave it which is what I did but my trim is a lot darker than the sample they made for me.What can I do? I only sprayed one piece of trim with some minwax poly in a can so its really thin.Should I just wipe the stain off with thinner and sand it or is this trim ruin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too dark of stain

Is this an oil based stain? If so, you can wipe it off somewhat with paint thinner or naptha. Then, follow the directions on the can.
One of the problems many people have is they make a small sample. Many times, small samples don't give you the information you need. The larger your sample, the better you can tell how it will look on your project.

o

Rub it on - smear it on, and then start wiping it off in the direction of the grain. Wipe off until you like the color.

The longer you leave it, the darker it gets.

o

Actually, controlling the color of a stain is most easily done by wiping the stain on the wood with a soft cotton cloth or a strong paper towel(the blue kind) folded to be easily handled.

That allows you to see immediately how mmuch color is being applied. Darker usually requires multiple coats, so the process does take longer than the flood and wipe off method. The upside is much better control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here