Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Cabinets very grainy & dark.How to Stain & brighten

Posted by amav31 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 21:06

My 70's Kicthen cabinets are dark color with even darker looking wood grains. Even though I am not fond of the color ,I wood like to give them a new look without painting. A google search on how to stain wood cabinets had me more confused. Every article writes different steps and words like shellac, Polyurethane,stain,enamel,primer, sand, buff,wax appear everywhere.

Exactly what steps should I take. First I have to clean the grime and grease off.I am planning to use Greased Lightening for this chore.Should I use TSP?
The wood on the cabinets do not have any finish
It is slightly rough to touch , very grainy with color variations.

1. What should I do after I clean. Sand and then stain. ?
2. After I stain should I sand again.?
3. When should I apply polyurethane.?
4. How can I minimise the grains on the wood. Is there a special stain for this.

I would like my cabinets to look new and shiny.

Here is a link to a picture of my kitchen
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg091126272438.html

Would appreciate any help
Thanks
Amav

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Cabinets very grainy & dark.How to Stain & brighten

No offense, but by the questions you are asking, I think you are over your head. This is not the best project to be your first finishing job on.

The grain is a characteristic of the wood you have. You may be able to minimize the contrast. Sanding is not the way to accomplish this, and you may never be able to reduce the contrast at this point, since it's already been stained dark.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here