Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can this crown problem be fixed?

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 20:49

Earlier today I posted this on the kitchen forum and someone suggested I post it here.

Here is a picture of what the cabinet maker tacked up. I need to talk to him about it in the morning. I don't want it to stick out beyond the wall. How can this be fixed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can this crown problem be fixed?

here is a wider shot

o

Crown has a profile with a fixed size, so for it to not extend beyond the cabinet, the cabinet would have to be smaller. Or you need to replace with something that has a smaller profile.

Or you could add a layer of drywall to the soffit to build it out to the edge of the crown.

o

OH Golly, I hope someone here can say something else but the last cabinet needs to be a bit more narrow so it ends where you what it to end (which is correct).
I did think of adding drywall but that means the entire wall across.
Who is responsible for the measuring?
Every house that is perfect has some such thing that only the owner knows--could this be yours???

o

I see what's wrong and understand all the solutions, but honestly, I could live with this. I have a funny place where my kitchen crown ends at an opening into another room. They put a nice return on it, but it's still a bit odd. I know it's there, but in the big scheme of things, it's nothing to me.

o

It's very hard to tell from the picture , but is there a filler strip and or piece of crown on the right side of the cabinet ?
There's a slight shadow that leads me to believe this might be the case .
If so , you might be able to remove the crown and filler strip and go flush to the taller cabinet . This might get you flush on the opposite side ....but it might leave the top cabinet slightly off centered to the cabinet below it .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here