Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeetie219_gw

oak molding staining and installation costs- HELP

skeetie219
14 years ago

Can someone give me a reality check general idea/ballpark/rule of thumb anything on trim molding costs and installation pricing for the NJ area...here is a - of what I was looking to have done: 65 ft of oak 5 1/4 baseboard/shoe moldings stained and installed though out den/kitchen, 50ft of pine 5 1/4 baseboard/shoe moldings stained and installed though out a living rm...

4 doorways (approx 32"wide- 8ft ceilings) -oak casing stained and installed with 3" casing and a 2 piece header- sorry i don't have the proper terms but it is a 1x4 or 1x6 with a crown on top, 2 sets of french doors (60"wide) oak casing/stained/installed on one side only.

14' doorway- oak molding/stained installed includ jambs.. let me just start with that stuff. I would be interested if i could get some feedback. I know oak is expensive. I love the woodworkers and completely respect the time and talent... but i got a quote for almost $7000.00 which seemed very high to me -thanks everyone. the only material i was supplying was the custom colored stain.

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

I have no idea about NJ labor process, but stain grade work is always premium work.

You cannot use filler to hide gaps, s the cuts must be perfect.

I have only even met two finish carpenters in 30+ years that can do the work reliably and have it come out looking good.

• skeetie219
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. The quote I received was not from a carpenter by trade but a GC who does moldings.. which makes me more skeptical about the costs.

• handymac
    14 years ago

Having done a bit of that kind of work, i'd say that quote was a bit high by a couple thousand.

But, the entire quote has to be examined. One person or more? Time involved? Method of installation(hand nailing/machine nailing). Cost of materials. Type of finish. And more.

There is another possibility. That GC may not really want a small(as compared to entire houses) job such as yours. He may have just thrown a figure as an answer.

You might look for more bids---there should be several folks in your area who can use the work.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Is the price including staining the doors too? Paneled doors can be a real pain. How many coats of finish and what type?

Baseboard is pretty quick to install if you only have 4 corners (no strange jogs) to a room, and don't have to grain-match and scarf long walls. Door and window casings take more time b/c of the mitre cuts and joining, esp. with stained trim. If the jambs aren't perfectly flush to the walls it's even more time-consuming to get a nice fit - same with basboards if the walls aren't flat (have built-up corners). Ask me how I know LOL.

Anyway, you can save quite a bit if you do the staining yourself. You could try a local paper for ads for trim carpenters - ask to see their work. I don't know NJ prices but I'd say $50/hr at most if you cut out the middleman (GC). Price out the materials yourself and see if lumberyard can deliver if you can't pick them up.

• skeetie219
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No doors just trim around an open doorway... the baseboard jobs is pretty straight forward- 4 corners. I know that staining it is labor intensive but I just can't get over this quote was over 7K... our kitchen extends into our den . i request an 8" wall be built out in the doorway leading from the kitchen into the den in order to wrap trim around it(since the other side of the doorway has an extending wall...that quote was $1500 no trim..on a good day i could probably build the wall myself. I'm calling for more bids and will consider staining myself.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"Baseboard is pretty quick to install if you only have 4 corners (no strange jogs) to a room, and don't have to grain-match and scarf long walls."

If the price is low they are probably going to miter inside corners instead of coping them.

Coping looks better, and when done correctly does not open and close as the wood shrinks and swells as badly as mitered.

• chrisny
    14 years ago

I think that is a fair number assuming it's high quality. Running clear moldings is significantly more time consuming than running paint grade. Then there is a lot of finish work.

Will everything be prefinished?