Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlab44

Cutting 1.5' off bottom of solid wood door?

carlab44
12 years ago

We're finishing our basement and have already purchased our pre-hung solid wood doors. Unfortunately what we didn't realize until after we received the doors is our framer made the closet door jamb too tall. This was made obvious once the drywall in the closet was in place and the drywall extends below the jamb. More of an aesthetic problem than anything, but I'm hoping to fix it.

I'm thinking of installing a 2x4 in the top of the door jamb, but since we already have our doors we'd need to then cut about 1.5" off the bottom of the closet doors to make them fit. Would this affect the integrity of the doors? If it matters these are 2 panel doors - solid wood with MDF for the panels.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• RRM1
    12 years ago

I don't understand why you can't build the jamb to fit the doors. It sounds like the rough opening might need to be adjusted to accommodate the new jamb and doors. In any event losing an inch and a half off of the doors shouldn't be a problem. You might think about a half inch off the top and one off the bottom or what ever looks right.

• carlab44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I don't think I used the right terms. I actually meant the rough opening in my original post. Right now the door does fit the jamb and the jamb fits in the rough opening. The problem is the ceiling in the closet is dropped to accommodate some pipes. So now the ceiling of the closet is slightly lower than the rough opening and will be lower than the door jamb when installed. Not much, but when you open the door you'll be able to see the edge of the drywall sitting lower than the door jamb.

Too much work to try and raise the ceiling of the closet (which is drywalled already) so I'm hoping to lower the top rough in and then cut down the jamb and doors to fit.

• carlab44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want to add the doors came pre-hung. Since the hinges have already been placed on the doors and jamb if we cut them I think we'll want to take it all off the bottom.

We could probably also get by with using a 1x4 to adjust the rough opening and therefore cut less off the doors. But if we can get by using a 2x4 I'd rather do that to have the closet ceiling recessed a bit more relative to the jamb.

• RRM1
    12 years ago

Try adjusting the rough opening so that the top of the finished opening is the same height as the finished ceiling. The top stop will then be a half inch below the finished ceiling. Then cut the jamb off to fit the opening and then cut door off (at bottom)to less than jamb in order to clear floor covering. It may be less than what you initially proposed, but what ever it is, it is.

• carlab44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your help RRM1.

• RRM1
    12 years ago

DO you know what to do from here? Do you know the sequence of action, this is because a lot of people have never hung doors that were not pre-hung? You will need to take the jamb apart. You will need help unless you are really, really good.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Unless the closet door opens inward (and hits the bulkhead) there is no problem; just "blind" the edges of the drywall with a piece of trim. Much better than messing with the door size; the bulkhead s only seen when the door is opened.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Unless the closet door opens inward (and hits the bulkhead) there is no problem; just "blind" the edges of the drywall with a piece of trim. Much better than messing with the door size; the bulkhead s only seen when the door is opened. "

This.

Cut away the jamb on the closet side as needed.