Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
offensive smell inside kitchen cabinets

Posted by sharyn1989 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 18:22

We purchased an old bungalow style house with the kitchen being on the ground level meaning it's a walk-in basement which happens to be the kitchen. The kitchen cabinets have a real bad smell inside. My glasses, pots and pans all seem to absorb this odor and I find it to be quite offensive.
I've tried ammonia, bleach, lysol and odor eliminating sprays.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of possibly painting inside the cabinets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: offensive smell inside kitchen cabinets

Baking soda or charcoal.

o

Find the dead mouse. Or fix the water damage that is causing the mold. Whichever is applicable. Don't attempt to bandaid a gushing artery.

o

I too would hunt out the source. If it is the paint or coating, then either paint or stripping the inside (a messy job!) might work. But if the cabinets are made of particle board, it could be the board off-gassing, something that would require complete sealing (not even sure this would work).

If that's a no-go, or until you can do it, the odor-absorbers should be put into action, baking soda or charcoal as Brickeyee says. I had a couple of Brita filters on hand that I wasn't using, and you can buy charcoal in other formats. And I don't know if it was included in your survey of odor0eliminating sprays, but something called Nilodor can work wonders.

Finally, when I had an odor problem once someone here suggested Lampe Berger. They are very cool but did not actually solve my problem, which was a persistent smell from a polyurethane finish.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here