Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to scribe baseboards

Posted by trigrl09 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 18:14

How big of gap is acceptiable with 5" by 3/4" baseboard (Arts and Crafts NO 1/4 round)

Curently we have about 1/8th - 1/6th.Should we scribe this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to scribe baseboards

That's what shoe molding is for

o

Can you flip the baseboard (top to bottom) to see if it has any crown?

Depending on the length of the piece of base, you might be able to flex it down to conform to the floor, then nail it off.

Or scribe it.

Personally, I would not accept a deviation like that in trim work. It's either full contact between the base and the flooring or a consistent 1/16th or so gap. If the baseboard can't conform to the floor, it gets scribed.

Then there's always the idea of if the floor is dipping, why it's dipping. Break out the bottle jacks!

o

"Then there's always the idea of if the floor is dipping, why it's dipping. Break out the bottle jacks!"

Old houses have settled.

If you want a new house, build one.

o

I second brickeyee's sense... old houses settle, subfloor isn't always even, etc.

To answer your question -- is this your home? Will YOU be bothered by looking at this everyday? I think that should answer your question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here